PDA

View Full Version : More driver trouble

jmolinejr
April 11th, 2001, 07:01 AM
I got rid of the S364V2+ and I'm back to the S364V2 driver, at least that's what my pc says. Now when I try to run 16 bit high color with 800x600 resolution I get scrambled colors. 16 bit will run with a lower resolution but it looks lousy and the games still scramble the screen. I have done the safe mode removal of the drivers etc. and the reboot to try to fix this, but nothing seems to help. The S3 site is nowhere to be found, so what can I do?
Thanks, John

smurfy
April 11th, 2001, 11:29 AM
Hi again John, this could be a monitor issue, not Vid Card.
Are you sure your monitor supports that resolution?
In Device manager, what shows up under monitor?
Chances are it may say "unknown monitor" or similar.

jmolinejr
April 11th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Hello,
In device manager under monitor, it says super vga 1024x768. It used to say unknown monitor. While in safe mode, I removed it and then rebooted. It reloaded the monitor. A prompt came up saying you haven't chosen a monitor type or something like that. I knew from memory that in settings It gave me 3 choices 640x480,800x600 and 1024x768, the highest one I know won't work. I have always known this. I chose this setting because it looked right. As far as the games, I have had them for quite a while. I unistalled them and when I installed them again a prompt said Games need 16 bit high color to run and prompted me to change settings. I did and got the scramble. If it was just one game I would suspect it but is several games doing this. What would you suggest I do?
Thanks, John

smurfy
April 11th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Just realised in all your posts I have never actally asked:
What version of DirectX are you running?
Start/Run/DXDIAG - OK
Run the display tests.
Upgrade DirectX.

jmolinejr
April 11th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Hi,
I am using directx 8.0. I guess I don't need that version but I can't uninstall it. By the way, my monitor is a Magnavox super vga, model cm2089.
Thanks, John

Junky
April 11th, 2001, 04:53 PM
You can download the DirectX Uninstaller right here: http://www.cybertechhelp.com/pages/downloads.html

Then install DirectX 7. Thats been know to work very, very well. I've heard that DX 8 can cause some problems.

When you install the S364V2 driver, did you choose it from the windows list or did you choose it from a disk? If you did'nt use the disk, that may be the problem. The one that is on the computer in windows driver library may be corrupt.

jmolinejr
April 12th, 2001, 03:57 AM
I had to load driver from driver library as a disk did not come with my pc. I downloaded direct x unistaller but it looks real scary to me, like one wrong move and I will have to reformat my hard drive. Do you think it's safe?
Thanks, John

Junky
April 12th, 2001, 05:26 AM
Well...I've not used that uninstaller, but I've used a similar one before. No big deal. It's only going to uninstall DX, not the whole windows system. ;)

jmolinejr
April 13th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Hello,
I used the DX unistaller and it seemed to work just fine. I now have DX 7. I still am unable to run on 16 bit high color. When I remove monitor in safe mode and reboot, I go to device manager and it says unknown monitor. That's what it has said in the past and there was no problem. When I try to change settings to 16 bit high color, I get a prompt saying I haven't chosen a monitor type. I don't know what to choose. I have chosen several different types and none seem to get 16 bit to work. Should I not choose anything and try that?
Thanks, John

Junky
April 13th, 2001, 05:48 PM
If the monitor driver is at least Standard Monitor Type-Super VGA, and the monitor will support it, that will get you 24 or 32 bit color, and at least 800x600...if the vid card can do it.

My guess is that it's the video card driver that is still messing up, or the video card has gone bad.

If you haven't tried it, change the video driver to Standard Type, VGA. Save and exit the settings. Reload windows in Normal Mode, which sould not detect or find new hardware. Check to see that windows is still using the standard driver...not the driver that should go with the video card.

If it's still using the standard driver, reload windows in Safe Mode. Go to Device Manager and remove all drivers under Display Adapters except the Standard VGA driver.

Reload windows in Normal Mode. Now change video driver (again) to the correct driver for the installed video card. But...choose "Have Disk" and load the driver from there. If you don't have the disk with the drivers, you can download them off the manufacturer web site.

This method should get the resolution back in order. I say SHOULD. Remember, this is windows we are working with. :rolleyes:

jmolinejr
April 14th, 2001, 03:53 AM
Hi,
My monitor will handle 800x600 MAX. It used to run on 16 bit high color. I have been trying to connect to the S3 driver home page for weeks and I keep getting a prompt saying Page may no longer be available or moved etc. Believe me, if I could find the right S3 driver, I would download and install it. Every place I've been and every tip I've found to find S3 drivers of my type has resulted in absolutly nothing. I don't know what else to do. No disk came with my pc, so have disk is useless to me and for all I know my driver can't be found so I can't use the instructions you gave me, though I wish I could. Any other Ideas?
You guys have really been a big help to me for lots of things. Thanks sooooo much, John

Junky
April 14th, 2001, 05:34 AM
I couldn't get on the S3 web site, wouldn't load. *shrug*

But I found two web sites that may help ya: http://www.nedcomp.com/ftpdir.html and this one: http://www.mpoli.fi/files/hardware/DISPLAY/S3/

See if one of these sites have what you need.

alferret
April 16th, 2001, 10:37 AM
I think what you need are the drivers for your monitor because windows doesnt know what refesh rate to set for your monitor when selecting 16bit color.
I found information regarding your monitor HERE (http://www.griffintechnology.com/monitors/Magna13.html)

And I found the following about drivers for the magnavox CM2089.

For those of you busting your balls looking for the driver for CM2089, you will not find it. Philips told that there is no driver for CM2089 and the driver the driver used for that monitor is the driver for model CM9089 which already exists within your Windows folder. Just select that monitor type from the Display settings and it should work fine.

So it seems if you set your monitor to CM9089 from within windows it might cure your problems

Al

jmolinejr
April 16th, 2001, 02:24 PM
Hi,
I can't find anything about cm2089 or cm9089 in windows. In my choices in display settings, I have monitor types with resolutions such as laptops with res choices, super vga with res choices etc. The deeper I get into this problem, the more lost I get.
Thanks, John

Junky
April 16th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Did you look at the two web sites in my post just above ferret's post?

jmolinejr
April 17th, 2001, 01:06 AM
Hello,
Yes, I looked at both of the sites, but the closest thing I could find was the S3 Trio64v2+ and I know that it's a different chipset. I will look again. Maybe I just missed it. If I do find it, should I remove everything else in the safe mode and then install the new driver? You may have to walk me through it.
Thanks, John

Junky
April 17th, 2001, 01:28 AM
Keep looking, you should be able to find it. Give a yell if ya need more help.

jmolinejr
April 17th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Hello,
I have found my display driver. I have downloaded it and I need to figure out how to install it. The install instructions say to push have disk and I have no disk. Can you help me with this? I saved it to my desktop and unzipped it, if that will help.
Thanks, John

smurfy
April 17th, 2001, 02:23 PM
John, if you unzipped all the files to your desktop (man it must look a mess :) ) then when you click on "have disk" click the browse button to C:\Windows\Desktop (or C:\Windows\Profiles\username\Desktop if you are using Windows user profiles) and it will find the *.inf file it needs to install the drivers. It may keep coming up with messages saying it is unable to locate files, keep browsing back to the desktop and it should work out OK.

Junky
April 17th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Or, do this. You'll want to keep and save the files. I'd create a folder then move them there. Something like, viddrv for the folder name on C drive partition of the hard drive. Then move all those files there. Now when it asks you for the disk, point it to c:\viddrv where the drivers were moved to. Leave the drivers there for future use. If the zip file isn't too big copy it to a floppy and save it there to be extra sure you have the drivers in the future. :)

jmolinejr
April 18th, 2001, 02:06 AM
To Smurfy & Junky,
You guys are great. I did what you said and I got it all back. I'm running on 16 bit high color again. I'm downloading the files to a floppy before I do anything else. Thanks again guys for all the help you have given me. This is the best help forum going.
A very happy camper.
Thanks, John
:)

Junky
April 18th, 2001, 05:20 AM
You are very welcome. :cool: