PDA

View Full Version : Can't read CD-R's

jjhcatzj
October 29th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Hi. I'm having trouble reading any CD-R's in my IBM 365XD laptop. I did replace the CD drive with a TEAC - CD 44E model. Is my problem with the CD driver, maybe. It works fine with a 'factory' made CD.

Thanks for any insight!

jjhcatzj :confused:

FrostyPhrog
October 29th, 2001, 09:01 PM
Hi
If you are the one burning the CD, try burning them at a slower rate instead of the maximum. Example try burning at 2x instead of at 8x. This is what I did to get away from your problem.

HTH
FrostyPhrog

jjhcatzj
October 30th, 2001, 04:29 PM
Hi Frosty. Thanks for the reply and suggestion, but this didn't help. I think the problem might be with the CD driver. I put in a different CD drive but am still using the same driver. Do you think this could be the problem?

Mr1drful
October 31st, 2001, 01:48 AM
hi jjhcatzj

the problem may be in the way your burning software is configured. some cd-roms can't read cd's burned using mode 1 . (usually it's just the older models)
try setting your software to burn using mode 2 (or mode 2/xa) this setting should work on ALL cd-roms. the only exception that i have found was my old compaq with a cyrix processor. couldn't read ANY cd's with that except originals.

good luck

jjhcatzj
November 1st, 2001, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the reply, Mr1drful. Still no luck. I use Adaptec EZ CD Creator to burn my CD's. They use X2 mode. I'll keep tinkering with it.

Mr1drful
November 1st, 2001, 08:57 PM
just one other thing that may be causing the problem.

are you finalizing the disks that you're burning ?

if you are leaving the disk open so you can add to it later,it won't be read by anything but your burner.

ok , my head is empty now. hope this one works.

good luck

Dodge
November 2nd, 2001, 07:29 AM
Are these CD-r's Audio or Data disk?

If Data disk then try burning Disk at Once instead of Track at once... That may help...

jjhcatzj
November 2nd, 2001, 03:03 PM
Thanks, Mr1drful and Dodge. I do close the CD after burning. I've been burning TAO. I'll try DAO tonight.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I appreciate it!

Jeff
:)

Mr1drful
November 3rd, 2001, 12:42 AM
in case you don't have it, here is a link to your driver....
http://www.teac.com/DSPD/TechSupport/Drivers/nbide_d.htm

one thing you may note, you driver only works in dos mode. for windows 95/98 you use the standard drivers. some of the cd burning software has a feature to disable dos mode. check your burning software and make sure this option isn't checked.

if it still doesn't work go to overstock.com. they have a nice compaq armada 1700 for only $550 .
use yours for a high tech doorstop.

just kidding (lol)

jjhcatzj
November 5th, 2001, 02:56 PM
To all who helped me on this issue with not being able to read CD-R's Thanks! I'm still not able to read CD-R's but I'm going to say the problem now is with the CD Drive. I even had trouble this past weekend trying to read 'factory' CD's. I appreciate all the suggestions and will reference them in the future if needed.

Thanks again! :)

jjhcatzj
November 14th, 2001, 08:58 PM
Hi all. I have some more info on this problem if anyone would be able to help me.

I noticed the 'B' pin connector on the motherboard is broken off. I looked on TEAC's site for info on this drive and it is labeled as 'reserved'. Pin's A thru D are all labeled as 'reserved'.

Is now a good time to take Mr1drful's advice and either buy a new TP or use this as a doorstop? I got this TP for nothing so, I don't have a lot invested in it.

I can hear the CD spin and see the CD's lights flicker when booting up. But then, I can't get WIN95 to detect the CD drive.

Would this (duh) be to the fact of the broken 'B' pin or maybe something (hopefully) else?

I've searched several helpful items on CTH, but nothing seemed to help me to get
WIN95 to detect my CD drive.

Thanks again for any ideas.

:confused:

Junky
November 15th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Just wondering. Does the BIOS detect that CD drive? When you first bootup and the computer goes through a self check, does the computer list the detected drives on the monitor screen? If so, does it list the CD drive?

For clarification: Are you saying that when in Windows, the CD drive is not listed with the hard drive? If that's the case, try searching for noide in the registry, and if found, delete it. Then reboot.

What exactly is that B pin for? For what device?

Have you checked the cables to the CD drive to make sure it's connected well? I don't know if you can get to them, but it could be loose or has gone bad.

jjhcatzj
November 15th, 2001, 04:36 PM
Hi Junky. Thanks for taking time out to help me.
When I boot up, All I see is my memory check and then 'Starting Windows 95. That's about it. I looked for NOIDE in the registry but didn't get any hits.

The 'B' pin is one of the 2 rows of 24 pins on the CD drive female connector that fits on the CD drive male connector on the motherboard. It's the male 'B' pin on the M/B that is broken off. I couldn't find any
documentation on the TEAC site that explained what the 'B' pin does. It just says pins A thru D are reserved.

Is there a way to boot my PC to be able to see if it recognizes my CD drive?

I tried several ways to get into the BIOS but haven't had any luck yet.

Thanks,

jjhcatzj

Junky
November 15th, 2001, 08:42 PM
It's very possible that the broken pin is the problem.

If you are running one hard drive as a master and no other drives with it, and you are running that CD drive as a master by itself you may be in luck. If you can, connect the CD drive on the same ribbon cable with the hard drive as a slave. You need to change the jumpers on both hard drives, at least on the CD drive. Some hard drives don't require any jumper changes. Just depends. You'll need to change settings in the BIOS under drive detection.

To enter the BIOS you need to be tapping on the Del key as the computer first starts booting up. Just keep tapping on it till the BIOS menu comes up.

When the computer first boots you should be able to see some stuff written across the monitor screen that tells you what the computer is configuring. If the Windows' splash screen comes up too soon, just hit the Esc key to get it out of the way so you can see what's going on.

jjhcatzj
November 15th, 2001, 09:50 PM
Junky, The problem I'm having is on an IBM Thinkpad, not a desktop. There aren't any ribbon cables to speak of.

jjhcatzj

Junky
November 15th, 2001, 11:37 PM
Oops. Dang. Wrong machine. :confused:

Now I'm lost. :rolleyes: I never mess with those things...just PC's. I don't know what to tell ya.

Mr1drful
November 16th, 2001, 02:39 AM
hmmm, doorstop is sounding better all the time.

if you really want to try and save it you could resolder the pin back on.it's not really as hard as it sounds. you just need a good eye,steady hand,low wattage soldering gun,and some rosin or acid core solder.
they also sell something in a tube called liquid solder. never used it but i've been told it works pretty good.

if you want to try it let me know and i'd be happy to email you with some instructions on how to do it.

lynnm
November 16th, 2001, 05:14 AM
Mr1drful - Please do not see what follows as an attack on you - My sense is that you have some good troubleshooting skills but lack practical experience with "Board Level" repairs.

OY!!

I do not recommend that anyone other than a highly experienced technician attempt do any soldering on a printed circuit board!!- (Soldering repairs to peripherals are another matter).

"Liquid Solder" would be worse than useless in this situation. LS is nothing more than a fancy glue with a metallic element included and the tolerances in electronic circuitry,(especially in computer circuitry), would at best result in a momentary repair and almost certainly will result in an irreversible failure of the repair and/or the mainboard.

If you wish to try this repair "DO NOT USE AN ACID BASE SOLDERING FLUX!!"Acid flux solders and/or pastes are corrosive and WILLdestroy the signal traces on your motherboard in short order. That is to say that the repair may work fine at first but will fail very shortly afterward and the damage to the circuit board will likely be irreparable.

I am not familiar with the circuit board of that laptop but in computer terms a "B" channel most usually refers to either a"B" drive - ie. a second floppy disk or sometimes to a secondary IDE channel.

In this case I suspect that the "B" refers to the connections for your CD-ROM and the broken pin very probably explains the difficulties you are experiencing.

As a practical matter you will be unlikely to be able replace the single broken pin at the motherboard but will need to replace the entire connector.

Unless you have the proper low temperature soldering/desoldering equipment available to you - I suggest that you order the appropriate connector from IBM and then take the connector and the laptop to a qualified repair shop.

This could cost some bucks but as you have pointed out you got the laptop as a freebie and an expenditure of $100.00 might still be worthwhile depending on the processor,RAM,Hard Disk and uses you may have for it.

Junky
November 16th, 2001, 06:50 AM
Oh, jeez Lynn, you beat me to it. I was gonna say the very same thing. :D LOL ;)

Mr1drful
November 16th, 2001, 10:34 AM
you're absolutely right lynnm , I haven't done any soldering on a computer motherboard .
I have,for the past 33 years,done a bit of soldering. (TV,stereo,cell phones,control equipment,and even designed a few circuit boards)
as far as acid core solder goes , I use it quite a bit for tinning the components BEFORE they are placed into the circuit board because it makes a much firmer and more stable connection. there is generally enough solder already on the board to make the actual connection so you don't need to add any more there (less is more).
but , all this aside , my comment was made as a low cost,last ditch attempt at saving this from becoming a doorstop. I was under the assumption that jjhcatzj DIDN'T want to put any more money into this older laptop.

sorry if I shocked you guys with my repair suggestion. forgot for a moment that this is only a tech help board. guess I overstepped the bounds here. until geocities shut down my website for excess traffic,I used to have a "help page for single women" where I would give people advice on making repairs themselves to help avoid high cost repair shops. it's a hard habit to break but bear with me-- I'm trying. :confused:

jjhcatzj
November 16th, 2001, 02:24 PM
I'm really impressed with the responses I'm getting on this board. You guys are amazing.

I don't think I'll take Mr1drful's advice on this occasion, maybe next time.

I think what I'll do is look for an external PCMCIA CDROM on eBay. They run around $50.00 or so. Then I can use it on other laptops if needed.

I really appreciate all the help you have given me. I keep reminding myself 'Yes, there are good people out there. You just need to look for them!'

Thanks, again and have a nice weekend!

jjhcatzj :)

Mr1drful
November 17th, 2001, 05:04 AM
excelent idea.

if you have at least a 133mhz processor and 32 meg of ram you also might want to consider this. pcsurplusonline.com just got in some NEW h/p cd burners. $64.99.
http://www.pcsurplusonline.com/viewprod.cfm?ID=399

looks like a nice little machine and it connects to a Parallel Port so you can use it on any computer.
h/p specs are here....
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg40215.html