PDA

View Full Version : question about home premium Vista

larry ziegler
February 9th, 2007, 07:52 PM
this is a before purchase question about Vista "Home Premium":
Will it improve either security,or stability as an Operating System?
thanks

Jimmy420
February 9th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Currently, no. Don't be fooled by Microsoft's "security" its bull****, its just a marketing scam to make you think your protected. It does provide some protection, but hardly any, i would highly recommend using your own firewall, antivirus, and scanning programs.
As for stability, XP is currently more stable as far as i know because Vista still has some bugs to work out, like all new OS's released.

renegade600
February 9th, 2007, 08:11 PM
every computer is different so it really depends what you are currently running as far as software and hardware. as far as improving security, if you already have a good firewall, antivirus, antispyware, you are protected. At this time, unless you have a reason to update then dont.

larry ziegler
February 9th, 2007, 08:42 PM
What might be a good firewall(besides XP's puny protection,also I've got Norton

Jimmy420
February 9th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Are you looking for a free or pay to use firewall? A good free one is Zone Alarm, from Zone Labs, you can also pay to use it and receive extra features.

renegade600
February 9th, 2007, 09:26 PM
What might be a good firewall(besides XP's puny protection,also I've got Norton

imo, nortons is a good one.

dohray
February 11th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Currently, no. Don't be fooled by Microsoft's "security" its bull****, its just a marketing scam to make you think your protected..

Can you back up this somewhat ambiguous statement?

Read Security Features (http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_05b.asp) for an in-depth review.

dohray
February 11th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Mind you, providing your own AV and using other spyware/malware programmes is a good idea.

As far as stability goes, I find Vista as stable as XP even as early in its (Vista) release.

Further reliability reading here. (http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_05d.asp)

Jimmy420
February 14th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Can you back up this somewhat ambiguous statement?

Read Security Features (http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_05b.asp) for an in-depth review.

Yeah, news quoted from this site:

Symantec CEO Says No to Windows Vista
Microsoft is preaching all the security benefits of Windows Vista, but the CEO of Symantec isnt at all convinced by the hype. CNET News asked John Thompson if hes installed Vista, to which he replied, No, I have not. I see no need for it for what I do online today, adding that Symantec has not yet made a commitment to migrate to Vista.

With all the increased security features in Windows Vista, some may be wondering why the chief of a software company isnt interested in running what is advertised as the most secure consumer OS on the market today.

Consumers should not be confused. Vista is not a security solution, Thompson said. Vista is an operating system, and Vista provides some very important advances from Microsoft's perspective and for the industry's point of view on building a more stable, more reliable, more secure operating platform, but people still need the efficacy that comes with the products that Symantec and others in the industry build, and so we should not be confused by the marketing rhetoric with what Vista is.

The interviewer then presents the argument that some of Symantecs core productsvirus scanners and firewallare outdated defense technologies, which Thompson answers, It would be naive to say they're outdated. Locks were invented for doors in the homes that we live in many, many years ago. They're no longer the last line of defense, they are the first line of defense, and people still buy more advanced locks, hence more antivirus, more firewalls.

We'll have to be smarter about delivering new capabilities and new functions there for proactive defense as opposed to reactive defense, but you'll also have to layer other kinds of technologies on to deal with new threats around fraud and identity management and all of those, Thompson said.

Tools: Tools: Comments (0) | Link to this news item | Send to a friend | Su

Miz
February 15th, 2007, 12:53 AM
John Thompson, CEO of Symantec, has a rather large financial stake in this issue. I think a more objective review would be more credible. Less spin, anyway. :D

That said, Vista's firewall is not for the faint of heart. It's configurable but I haven't set aside a few hours to learn all its tricks. There's a good amount of information about it on this Microsoft technet page (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0106.mspx). Someday I'm going to read the whole thing and start down the road of understanding how to configure Vista's firewall. ;)

Jimmy420
February 23rd, 2007, 10:07 PM
Well they'res been numerous news about it on this website lately thats not from Symantec :)

Miz
February 23rd, 2007, 11:59 PM
Security is generally only as good as the user allows it to be. I'm confident that whatever Vista's security features are, unwise surfing, email/attachment opening and file downloading can, if pursued with enthusiasm, overcome them all. :D

renegade600
February 24th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Security is generally only as good as the user allows it to be.

yea, but whats the use of having a computer if you dont turn it on. :rotflmao:

Miz
February 24th, 2007, 02:28 PM
yea, but whats the use of having a computer if you dont turn it on. :rotflmao:

I'm pretty sure there's middle ground between engaging in things that invite infection and never turning the computer on. :D