PDA

View Full Version : ram sweet spot

renegade600
February 21st, 2007, 03:48 PM
See this (http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9011523)

Interesting article about what vista needs in the way of ram. If this version needs 4 gigs to operate efficiently, then I hate to see how much the next windows version needs.

Microsoft's on-the-box minimum RAM requirement "really isn't realistic," according to David Short, an IBM consultant who works in its company's Global Services Divison. He says users should consider 4GB of RAM if they really want optimum Vista performance. With 512MB of RAM, Vista will deliver performance that's "sub-XP," he warned.

Spider
February 23rd, 2007, 09:29 AM
He says users should consider 4GB of RAM
Sounds like someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

1Gb will do it, 2Gb is where you want to be though.

Sarrkazztic
February 23rd, 2007, 06:23 PM
2 gigs to run in my mind at least that is ridiculous.....any requirement beyond 512 is just subject to bad coding by micropuff.

renegade600
February 23rd, 2007, 07:03 PM
Sounds like someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

1Gb will do it, 2Gb is where you want to be though.

I agree - though I do have four gigs on my vista ultimate system :D I really do not see the need for more than 2 gigs for normal usage.

cHiNgY1788
February 24th, 2007, 12:16 AM
i have a small rule of thumb, just get 4 times the minimum required to run the OS recommended by microsoft
XP - 512MB
Vista - 2GB

BrianP
February 25th, 2007, 08:21 PM
The Vista notebook I set up last week had 1GB of RAM and performed simple tasks like an XP machine with 256MB. OK but not great.