PDA

View Full Version : Laptop memory and vista

dakotarayne
March 25th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I have a sony vaio laptop with 1.66ghz duo core 2 processor, 2 gb memory, and 160 gb hard drive. Vista keeps telling me that the computer does not have enough memory to run certain programs. I have a desktop with 2 gb of memory, and xp, and have never had this problem. I look at the memory manager with vista, and it tells me that the computer is running around 600mb of memory at idle, and about 1.3 gb in the cache. so that usually only leaves about 20 - 40 mb of free memory. My question to you is this normal for vista. I ran memtest and it says my 2gb of memory is good, and the computer displays the 2gb of memory. Can I clear the cache some how? Or should I look at closing some of vista's background programs.. Like Windows Defender?
Please help.
Thanks

Pi rules
March 25th, 2007, 09:20 PM
This caching is a new feature of Vista known as SuperFetch. It basically anticipates what you are going to do by analyzing what you have done so common tasks are done more quickly. I'm not sure how to lower the amount other than by only enabling it for boot processes only (usually boot processes & apps). To completely disable it, go to Start and type services in the Search bar. Find "SuperFetch" and stop it.

To change it so that it only is enabled for boot processes, go to Start and type regedit in the Search bar and go to the following locating in the Registry: (always backup the Registry (http://pirules.com/xp_backup_registry.aspx) before editing it.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\

Edit the value of EnableSuperfetch to 0 for disabling it, 1 for boot processes only, 2 for applications, and 3 for boot processes and applications.

Computer Blues
March 25th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Hey Dako - you might want to mention what programs your trying to run when you get the warning.

Ck out my post about RAM.

As usual I would be very careful with advice you get. Vista is new and so is our experience with it. I like to hear the advice six times or at least from a respected member before I jump off the bridge.

No disrespect PI!!

lazygeneration0
March 26th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Vista is a memory hog so it eating 600MB is normal. Mine eats 500MB on a fresh install.

Pending on what programs you use that take a lot of ram and compared to what you have running in the background, will impact yoru RAM and how the OS performs. The closer to the 2GB limit you use, the slower performance you will get.

There arent that many programs and services that you can disable that will lower the ram usage considerably. I always disable Defender as A)it sucks and B)when it scans yoru compuer, it searches for unwanted programs that should not be on your computer and remove it. (obvoiusly) BUT, Microsoft can decide what they consider to be "harmful" and remove it for you without your knowledge or consent. So what you have on yoru computer that you use all the time or whatever, Microsoft can decide that they think it is "harmful" and remove it for you. Sucks. I never liked it from day one. Disable that and remote registry. Thats a nasty little service too.

The only thing memtest is going to tell you is if yoru RAM is bad or not. If it produces errors, then the RAM is faulty. But I highly doubt that is what is wrong with your computer given the situation. If that was the case, you could not be using it. :)

XPS
March 27th, 2007, 02:48 AM
One of the best links I have seen for disabling Vista programs is here (http://vistarewired.com/2007/02/18/disable-services/).