PDA

View Full Version : FTP set-up tutorial?

Harrie
March 15th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Hmmm - is that a possibility? It may not be, as I find that everyone else in cyber world can manage it except me. Once one is set up I can transfer to and from just fine, it's actually setting it up right I can never seem to get, haha!

Anyway, twas just a thought........

Theoran
March 15th, 2003, 04:44 PM
I use Serv-U as my FTP server so here is what I do.

Step 1. Getting a static IP address.
Get a static address for your FTP server. You will want to do this as opposed to using your IP address for several reasons. First, itís easier keeping up-to-date. Imagine having to change all of your setting every time your IP changed. With No-IP, the No-IP service runs in background on your computer and updates your current IP address with your FTP serverís URL (ftp://theoran.serveftp.com). Second reason, you donít want your IP address posted out there for everyone to see.

§ Go to http://www.no-ip.com/newUser.php to create a new user account.
§ Fill in the information that is required and the click Register button.
§ Your account has now been created and your account password has been emailed to you.
§ Check your email mailbox and wait for the mail that contains your password
§ Go back to http://www.no-ip.com/ and type your email address and password to login to your account.
§ Once in your account, click on Add a host in the left menu
§ Type in the Hostname you want (example: theoran) and pick a Domain from the list (example: ftpserve.com)
§ Check Allow Wildcards and click the Submit button
§ You now have your static address (example: theoran.serveftp.com)
§ Click on your OS link in the Dyn-Update Client in the bottom right menu and follow links to download the client
§ Once downloaded, install the software and type in your email address and password when asked.
§ Finally tick the checkbox near your static address.

You now have a static web address

Step 2. Installing and setting the FTP server.
§ Install Serv-U 4.0.
§ Start Serv-U and use the wizard to setup your ftp.
§ Click next until you're asked for an IP address, leave it blank and then click next.
§ Type the domain name you've just registered above (example: preacher.serveftp.com) in the domain name field and then click Next.
§ You are asked if you want to allow anonymous access, select No and then click next.
§ You are then asked to create a named account, check yes and then click next.
§ Type in the user name you wish for this account (example: Harrie) and click next.
§ Type a password for this account (example: $p3c1aL). For security reasons, try to create a password with some letters, numbers and special characters. Then click next.
§ You will then be asked for the Home directory of the account you just created. Select the directory and then click next.
§ Select yes to lock this account to the Home directory. You want to do this so that the user can not go any further up that his home directory. Click next.
§ The account is now set so click finish.

Step 3. Configuring user accounts.
§ In the left tree-menu, select the account you've just created and then click on the General tab.
§§ Check Hide ĎHiddení Files.
§§ Check Allow only and enter the number one in the box.
§§ Set the Max. download speed to what ever you want. If this is an account that many will be using, set it low to save on your bandwidth. I usually have mine set between 10 Ė 20. If you leave it blank, users will be able to download from you at full bandwidth.
§§ Set the Max no. of users to how many you want to be able to log on at one time. This depends on your connection speed but try these (56 - 1, ISDN - 3, ADSL or cable - 5-6 users.)
§ Now, click on the Dir Access tab.
§ You should see the home folder in there. Highlight it and make your permissions.
§ If you only want users to be able to download check only Read, List, & Inherit.
§ If you want users to be able to upload, but to only one particular folder but not download, click the add button and then select that folder. Now highlight the folder and set these permissions on that folder. Check Write, Append, List, Create, & Inherit. Once you have made the permissions click on the up arrow that is located at the bottom right-hand corner. You want this special upload folder to be list first, before the home folder.
§ If there is a folder that you donít want anyone to have access to, but it is inside the home folder, then click the add button and then select that folder. Now highlight the folder and make sure that all checkboxes are left. Once you have made the permissions click on the up arrow that is located at the bottom right-hand corner. You want this no access folder to be listed at the very top.
§ There are many other different sets of permissions you can play with. I just covered your basics.
§ Your server is now set!
§ Try logging on with the username and password and see if it works.

I hope this helps.

Harrie
March 15th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Gosh, Theoran, look at how thorough that is! Don't think I don't appreciate it, because I really do. That's what I need. I'm working now, but I think tonight I will try it myself. Thanks so much for that effort and will post back.

Harrie
March 16th, 2003, 03:28 AM
Those were great instructions. I didn't have a single difficulty. I sure do like that No-IP business too. When I finished everything, I logged on and there I am, no error messages or anything at all. Now, I'll have to experiment with actually using it! Thank you very, very much for the great and specific tutorial, Theoran. Thumbs up to you.

Harrie
March 16th, 2003, 04:30 AM
Okay, my FTP brain lapse is back, but I'm awfully close now so I might as well ask all my questions. I know it's working (hurray) because I just sent a file to it and I see it there, "completed or received successfully" or something like that. So I mean now, should I just use any FTP proggie I choose to go along with this? I hope that's not too dumb. Also if you have a recommendation. I sent it there with something called send to FTP. Anyway, to totally lay it on the line, I don't see where you would use Serv-U to actually send or receive files - am I all wrong here? Please don't give up on me now, I can't believe I came this far! Thank you very much.

lufbra
March 16th, 2003, 04:35 AM
Hey Theo, thanks for posting this, I'm gonna give this a go myself, I'll just let Harrie ask all the questions!!! ;)

Dave.

Harrie
March 17th, 2003, 08:28 PM
*bump*

Baser-X
March 17th, 2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Harrie
Okay, my FTP brain lapse is back, but I'm awfully close now so I might as well ask all my questions. I know it's working (hurray) because I just sent a file to it and I see it there, "completed or received successfully" or something like that. So I mean now, should I just use any FTP proggie I choose to go along with this? I hope that's not too dumb. Also if you have a recommendation. I sent it there with something called send to FTP. Anyway, to totally lay it on the line, I don't see where you would use Serv-U to actually send or receive files - am I all wrong here? Please don't give up on me now, I can't believe I came this far! Thank you very much.

Serve-U will not allow you to send/receive files persay (sp?). What you need is an FTP client. I use Bulletproof FTP and FlashFXP (but FXP is something entirely different, so let's skip over that for now). When you set up Serv-U, what you have essentially done is made an FTP site on your local machine (or wherever you put it) this allows you to designate what port to listen on, users and policies for users who can access your FTP.

With a client like Bulletproof, you will put in the info for the FTP, let's use as an example an FTP with the ip address 192.192.192.192 on port 192: login/pass 192/192. You will enter this info into the client and then connect. Now you are browsing the FTP site at that address and you can send (upload) files to that FTP or you can receive (download) files from that FTP.

There is an easy to use and FREE FTP client at http://www.ftpx.com. It was very basic back in the day, I haven't used it in a long long time, but it was the best client for learning on. I taught my brother how to use FTP with FTP Explorer (aka FTPX)

MishY
March 17th, 2003, 11:43 PM
SmartFTP is a great FTP client :)

Harrie
March 18th, 2003, 12:26 AM
Oooh, Baser, thank you so much! I wish I'd seen this earlier in the day! I appreciate your confirming what I thought so much, and also your further explaining about how to set things up! As a matter of fact, this afternoon, first I tried FTP Voyager.....I couldn't make heads or tails of it, so then I did download Smart FTP - and.......hold on, don't faint, I apparently set it up right! I basically did what you said to do, they had great instructions on their site. And now to find out Mishy thinks it's a great one, well, I'm pretty pleased! I got Dave to send me some things, and they surely did arrive. I might actually be on my way, halleluliah!

Thanks again to all. I really appreciate all of this.

lufbra
March 18th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Dang!!!! :(

I'm trying this now, but can't get it set up with my FTP program WS FTP!!!! :(

Dave.

lufbra
March 18th, 2003, 09:27 PM
Theo.

To get this thing to work, do you have to have Sev-U 4.0, or will any FTP program do it for you? :)

Dave.

lufbra
March 20th, 2003, 03:18 AM
Anyone? :(

Theoran
March 20th, 2003, 04:36 PM
I use Serv-U because it's easier seeing a graphical representation.

Blackmoon is another good one to use.
http://www.blackmoonftpserver.com/

As far as what's going on with WS_FTP, are you getting error
messages? You really don't need and ftp client, you could use IE.
If the user name is Theo and the password is password and the
ip address is theo.serveftp.com and the port number is 3003 then
it would look like this.

ftp://Theo:password@theo.serveftp.com:3003

Username
Password
IP Address
Port Number

There are a few thing you need to check, is your FTP server setup
as to use Passive Mode (behind a firewall) or not. If it is then IE or
you FTP client will need to be set that way as well.

lufbra
March 20th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Thanks Theo!! :)

I guess I'm not fully understanding this properly, to set this whole thing up, you need to have a FTP server, and that is something that WS FTP isn't?

Being the cheapskate that I am :) and plus the fact that I wouldn't be using this much at all, the cheapest way around this would be best for me, preferably free, oh how I love that word!! ;)

Dave.

Harrie
March 20th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Do you advise going through IE, Theo, or not?

Theoran
March 20th, 2003, 08:25 PM
No. Using an FTP client is ideal. It's alot easier too once you get
use to it. I was just pointing out the IE can do the same thing as
WS_FTP.

Dave,

WS_FTP is an FTP client that enables you to browse FTP servers.
That is all it does. You will need FTP server software in order to
run an FTP server. Here are a few that I have tried. Bulletproof FTP Server
Blackmoon FTP Server
Serv-U FTP Server
And a few more not worth mentioning
Serv-U is my favorite followed by Blackmoon.
The is the Free Edition (http://www.blackmoonftpserver.com/bmftp_free.zip) of Blackmoon FTP Server.

Harrie
March 20th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Okay, glad I asked! I'm in love with the whole set-up! And Smart FTP, too!

lufbra
March 20th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Thanks Theo, I'll give that Blackmoon one a try out!! :)

I did do a look around on Google, and found one named Cereberus, it's very smal as in file size, so I tried that, just can't seem to figure out how to set it up!! :(

Dave.

Harrie
March 20th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Okay well, hopefully this will be my last question on the subject. I just wrote Dave saying I was too embarrassed to ask this in public, but to heck with that, who cares.

I like this whole thing, I don't plan on getting rid of it (though I might try the free server when my trial is about to end), but I don't really understand what the point is in having a server. Now, I do like having it because in my business, wav files are often sent over FTP (though the place I work right now, we don't do that) but I figure this set-up would be good. But I still don't really understand.

What would make one person want a server, and another person feel that just having an FTP client is enough? What does having the server DO??

lufbra
March 20th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Hmmmmmm, the Blackmoon one is certainly not one that's easy to set up, do you have any info on that one, Theo? :)

Can the no-ip link be set up through it, the one I created for myself?

Dave.

*scratching head trying to figure it all out*

Theoran
March 20th, 2003, 10:27 PM
Well harrie, that question is easy for me. I use my server for work.
If I am at a friends house and I need something, say a document
or even my resume, al I need is an Internet connection and I can
download the document. I also have a horde of freeware apps on
my computer so if a buddy wants something he can get it from me

But the biggest thing I do is constantly sending and receiving files
from from my work PC to my home PC. All of the code for my web
sites is on my computer at home, but I don't have alot of time in
front of the computer at home, so I make web pages at work and
then upload the finished page to my webpages folder on my PC
and then I upload it to tripod using the FlashFXP ftp client. This is
just an example of what I might do with my FTP server on a given
day.

I hope that explains is a bit.

Theoran
March 20th, 2003, 10:30 PM
I believe with Blackmoon, you have to use your IP address
instead of a friendly name.

unfortunately, I didn't write down any procedures for setting
up Blackmoon. It's a lot different than Serv-U but it's heart &
soul is still the same as all FTP servers.

I might have an old version of Serv-U on an old CD is you want.

lufbra
March 20th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Thanks Theo, after messing around with it, I see what you mean about the IP address only, part of it all!! :)

So I guess with that, what I'd do is create a username and password, then share that along with my IP address, to whoever I wanted? :)

If I can figure out the Blackmoon program, then I'll be quite happy with that, but thanks for the offer, although it does say somewhere (at least if I read it right), that there is a free version of Serv-U!! :)

Dave.

Harrie
March 21st, 2003, 12:57 AM
Thank you very much, Theo, that helped a great deal. I think I do get it now.

Thumbs up to you for the whole deal! I swear I had given up ever conquering this!

lufbra
March 27th, 2003, 03:03 PM
I now have the Ceberus one set up (bad spelling up above), this one seems to be working fine!!! :)

Dave.

Theoran
March 27th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Is everybody working good now?

R4NG3R
May 19th, 2003, 09:41 PM
i'm using CuteFTP but it says when i try to connect

STATUS:> Connecting to clan-84th.servehalflife.com (ip = 24.162.57.166)
STATUS:> Sockect connected. Waiting for welcome message...

whats the welcome message?

kaabob
September 9th, 2004, 05:15 AM
Hey, im living at a college dorm and i was wondering how you set-up an FTP from my computer. I'm hooked up to the school's network and last time i checked my IP at whatsmyip.org, i used the school's IP to setup the FTP server. However, using cute FTP, i wasnt able to connect to my own computer. IS the school blocking port 21 or how am i suppose to set this serve-u FTP up?