PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection will not recieve data

Slurpy316
January 11th, 2001, 03:53 PM
I've had this problem with both Windows NT and Windows 2000 in the past but it's started happening with Windows 98SE,
After a random period of time (from 5 to 120mins) my internet connection will suddenly cease recieving data. According to DUN, it is still connected and it will still attempt to send data.

At the behest of my ISP i installed Inverse IP to log any error messages. This did not show any problem. It seems as far as the computer is concerned there is a valid open connection to the ISP just that no data is being sent. My ISP says it has never had this problem reported before but this is the second ISp i have had this with and the 3rd operating system to suffer it.

Junky
January 11th, 2001, 07:09 PM
Hi,

I don't know the answer to your problem, but something similar was happening on a computer I just built for a friend.

Everything worked fine, until a connection was established online through a dial-up. The computer would freeze up solid, and I mean solid.

Come to find out, it was the settings in the CMOS relative to the AGP, nVidia TnT video card. Took me about 3 hours to find any info on the internet on this, but I found settings for the CMOS suggested by the video card manufacturer. That fixed the problem.

Now the reason I say this is just to let you and others know just how unrelated something can be that causes a problem as a computer not receiving transfer data over the internet.

I don't know about anyone else, but when something like what you have discribed happens, I open the computer and jerk out all cards off the motherboard except the video card and start from there, replacing each, one at a time, until I have put it back togeather with no problems or errors.

Check that CMOS. Look over the settings closely. Check Device Manager for any errors or conflicts. Check everthing you can think of and then alittle more.

I'll stop here. Maybe someone will come along that has had this same problem to help you. Good luck...

------------------
If it ain't broke, break it...then fix it!

[This message has been edited by Junky (edited 11 January 2001).]

BigStu
January 12th, 2001, 08:26 AM
I have had a similar problem, but I could not receive data from the begining. I have also fixed it 2 different ways. First time I updated modem drivers. And second time I reinstalled DUN. Hope one works for you.

BigStu

redstone
January 12th, 2001, 12:27 PM
You may have an interrupt conflict. Check the IRQs on your modem and com ports.

------------------
HTML is off.