PDA

View Full Version : Computer constantly stalling

longphant
December 17th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Hi,

Lately my computer has been acting up. Everytime I go to do an action, the computer's hard disk light will constantly stay on for a good 20-25 seconds, and after that, the process will continue for 5 seconds before stalling again. For example, I was moving a copying a file from one hard drive to another as a test. The file would start off copying for 3 seconds, and then the hard disk light would stay constant and the file copying would just stop where it was. I am able to move my mouse around, but the busy mouse cursor just appears wherever I go. This happens in safe mode too... Any ideas?

AnnMarie
December 17th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Hi longphant. If the problem also occurs in Safe Mode, the problem is most likely hardware related. It may be a problem with your hard drive so I suggest that you backup all data to removable media a.s.a.p.

When you have done this, open My Computer, rightclick on your drive and select Properties > Tools. Look for Error Checking and click "Check Now". Select both "Automatically fix file system errors" and the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" options and click Start.

You will get a warning that Windows can't complete the tests until you reboot so reboot and chkdsk will start.

Stage 4 can be very slow and the progress bar may not appear for quite a few minutes so please be patient.

You can view the log in Event Viewer. Hit the Windows key plus r and type:

eventvwr.msc

and ok. Click on Windows Logs > Application and look for wininit. Doubleclick to open and you should see the results. Please copy and paste them here.