PDA

View Full Version : PC ran into problem and shut down automatically

Liz81
January 17th, 2015, 10:40 PM
I was watching something on Youtube and suddenly, my PC displayed a message saying that the PC ran into a problem and was collecting information. Then my PC restarted. I checked event viewer and I can't find anything that might indicate what exactly the problem was. I found a log during a time when this happened and it just said it shut down unexpectedly which I already know. I checked for logs before that and there was nothing that indicated a problem. It's like it just shut down for no reason. I did find the dump file though and I don't know how to open it or attach the file on here?

Murf
January 18th, 2015, 05:09 PM
1st time it happened? Done it before?

Has it done it again after that?

Liz81
January 18th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Well, first time it's happened and at first I wasn't going to worry about it but I was concerned because twice before, while I was on youtube, the computer just froze and did nothing. I hit ctrl+del+alt trying to get to task manager and it took a couple minutes to get to the task manager so I can just close the browser. I checked for updates on my graphic driver and the computer didn't find a newer version. I'm thinking that the graphic driver or something just quit responding for some reason or it wouldn't work well with something else. In other words, it could have conflicted with something. While I was watching on youtube, I was watching and going through different videos a little quickly. Maybe doing so upset the driver or something. Again, I'd like to attach the dump file but don't know how to do that here. Seems like I've done it before but don't remember how. Maybe I did that on another forum. I looked at the forum FAQs and it said under the message box that there's a button labelled "Manage attachments." I don't see that on my end. Tried dropbox.com but it's not allowing me to upload unless I had admin permissions which I thought I did. Oh and I got Windows 8.1 if that helps any.

Murf
January 19th, 2015, 02:55 AM
When you post, scroll down below the post screen and you should
see Manage Attachments.

Liz81
January 19th, 2015, 03:20 AM
I just scrolled down even further and apparently I may not post attachments. I'm allowed to post new threads, post replies and edit posts but not post attachments. Wonder why? :(

Murf
January 19th, 2015, 10:35 PM
See if you can now?

Liz81
January 20th, 2015, 02:28 AM
No, afraid not. Still says, "You may not post attachments."

Murf
January 21st, 2015, 03:43 AM
Please check your Private Messages, I sent you one.

Murf
January 21st, 2015, 07:24 PM
Appears the error may be caused by your Video/Display Driver. Atikmdag.sys

Please post which graphics card you have:

Right click on " Computer">Properties, left pane Device Manager

Click on little arrow next to Display Adapters to expand.

Post your adapter

I know you said you checked for latest driver, but appears the one you have may be corrupted.

Liz81
January 27th, 2015, 11:02 PM
Sorry for delay. Had a cold and now another BSOD. Forum is still not letting me post attachments so I sent you the latest dump file from today. It's probably the same thing but thought I'd send it in case there's anything different. This time I was reading a news story when this happened. PC just froze for a second then that was it. I googled about this issue relating to Windows 8.1 and seems that alot of people have this too. I guess Windows 8.1 isn't always too agreeable with this driver but I didn't install it myself when I got this computer. It was already pre-installed.

The display adapter I have under device manager is AMD Radeon HD 8400.

I have looked at their website before when this happened and couldn't find this device on their website. So I'm not sure where to get this from if I need to reinstall it or whatever I need to do. Please advise on what I should do next.

Thanks.

Murf
January 28th, 2015, 01:57 AM
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+32
Click on Download next to Revision 14.12 12/9/2014

Liz81
January 28th, 2015, 03:09 AM
Thanks for getting back to me quickly. Do I need to uninstall any old display adapters or drivers before installing this new one or does it go with AMD Radeon HD 8400? And this is compatible with Windows 8.1? Link kept saying something about Windows 7 but didn't say anything about later than that.

Murf
January 28th, 2015, 03:51 AM
Its compat with 8.1 download and install lets see if it removes old driver, it should.

Liz81
January 28th, 2015, 08:06 AM
Ok, I've installed it although I did find a link to the one that said it was for Windows 8.1 while googling some stuff about video cards but it's the same version and same everything it looks like except the file size is larger. But that's ok for me. Device manager has it listed as the same display driver but added "R3" by it. Not sure what that means but I guess it's ok. Also checked add/remove control panel to see what was listed and I noticed that "raptr" is there and it was there today so I assume it was installed while AMD was getting installed. Hopefully it's safe. I googled it and it said something it's like a gaming site or whatever and I know that the AMD package I installed including some gaming evolved app or something like that. Let me know if this sounds right. If not, I'll uninstall the whole thing and just go to the link you posted and download from there. Thanks.

Murf
January 28th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Rapt is a gaming app from AMD that gamers can use to optimize games, watch and chat during games. Which, unless your a gamer, you don't need, but at least it installed the latest driver for your video.

If you go into Control Panel/Program and Features you should see something about a program being installed with AMD in the title. I would just leave it.

One thing I would also check is hit

Ctr-Alt-Del key at the same time

Select TASK MANAGER
Go to STARTUP TAB
Is there anything there Enabled? That has AMD in it?

The only way to see if this helped is wait and see if it shuts down again.

Liz81
January 28th, 2015, 09:08 PM
Yeah there's a AMD Quickstream listed. What is that?

Speaking of startup, I do not want Bluestacks started up or listed on the task manager as I don't use it as often. Do I just disable it under "Startup" in the task manager?

Murf
January 28th, 2015, 09:23 PM
Speaking of startup, I do not want Bluestacks started up or listed on the task manager as I don't use it as often. Do I just disable it under "Startup" in the task manager YES

Your not removing the program just stopping it from starting with Windows

Everything you see in Start Up are shortcuts to the program, stopping it from starting does not remove the program itself. You can still get to it from desktop or explorer if you need to use it.

AMD Quickstream only supports

AMD Accelerated Processors for Desktop PCs

AMD A10, A8, A6, and A4 Series APUs
AMD Radeon HD 7340D (E2-1800)

Notebooks with AMD Accelerated Processors

AMD A10, A8, A6, and A4 Series APUs
AMD Radeon HD 7340G (E2-1800)
AMD Radeon HD 6320G (E-450

Which you do not have so you can uninstall it and will not remove the driver itself.

Murf
February 2nd, 2015, 09:03 PM
Has the problem been resolved?