PDA

View Full Version : Get Windows 10

lufbra
November 19th, 2015, 06:36 PM
I now have Windows 7, but have the little icon showing, for getting Windows 10. Is Windows 10 worth getting now, or waiting for all/any bugs to be fixed? What would be the advantage/s of using Windows 10, over keeping Windows 7? What would be the disadvantage/s of using Windows 10, over keeping Windows 7? If Windows 10 is installed and causes problems, is it easy enough to go back to Windows 7? Am I asking too many questions?

Murf
November 21st, 2015, 05:59 PM
Too many "Pints" there buddy..

Once you upgrade to Windows 10, it creates a folder called Windows.old. It basically contains your old operating system, and you will have 30 days to revert back if you don't like Windows 10. After 30 days, you will then have to do a complete clean install of the old operating system, which means you would need the (In your case) Win 7 DVD's. Or to a factory restore.

I have Windows 10 on two of my systems;

Advantages

1. Boots faster
2. More secure
3. Better Power Management (for laptops)
4. DirectX 12
5. Includes Cortana (if you would use it)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-what-is-cortana which is also voice capable
6. If a gamer better access to Xbox
7. Better search, windows management, file management, gaming tools, newer Start Menu

Disadvantages

Depending on computer may not have the required drivers yet
Some software may not be compatible

As you know Windows 7 support (extended support) ends January 2020, other support ended this year.

Before going to Windows 10 you need to check compatibility;

For details about your specific devices and apps, check the compatibility report that is a part of the Get Windows 10 app. To do this, open the Get Windows 10 app, select the menu in the upper left corner of the app, and then select Check your PC (or Your PC is good to go) to see any known compatibility issues and recommended resolutions.

lufbra
November 23rd, 2015, 06:12 PM
Thanks Murf. I'd give you one of these pints, but have a reputation to keep! :D