PDA

View Full Version : Down Grade

Windrider
February 26th, 2016, 01:25 AM
I up graded from Win 8.1 to Win 10. Not happy with it. Can I down grade the system to Win 7 with out formatting the drive/loosing my programs and other files?

renegade600
February 26th, 2016, 01:34 AM
you will have to backup your files and reformat before installing a full retail version of win7

Murf
February 27th, 2016, 12:47 AM
As DAN said, unless this was a typo:

I up graded from Win 8.1 to Win 10. Not happy with it. Can I down grade the system to Win 7 with out formatting the drive/loosing my programs and other files?

You can revert back to Win 8.1 within 30 days of the upgrade.

Digerati
February 27th, 2016, 03:08 PM
You really should try to stick with W10. It really is a much better OS once you get used to it, and you get it configured to your liking.

First and foremost, it is more secure than any previous version of Windows. It is also faster.

Windows 7 is already pushing 7 years old and Microsoft has already to ceased mainstream support for it. As Murf noted, if you came from Windows 8, you cannot role back to W7. You would have to buy a new W7 license and install from scratch.

I would suggest you tell us what you don't like about W10 and see if we can make suggestions to tweak it to your liking. For example, I don't like Edge, Microsoft's new insistent default browser built into W10. So I made IE11 my default browser. I don't like Cortina so I don't use that either.

And if you prefer Windows 7 Start Menu instead of W10's, there is Start10 or Classic Shell to make W10 look and feel like W7.

And finally - worth repeating - W10 is more secure.

myersjr
March 11th, 2016, 07:20 PM
You really should try to stick with W10. It really is a much better OS once you get used to it, and you get it configured to your liking.

First and foremost, it is more secure than any previous version of Windows. It is also faster.

Windows 7 is already pushing 7 years old and Microsoft has already to ceased mainstream support for it. As Murf noted, if you came from Windows 8, you cannot role back to W7. You would have to buy a new W7 license and install from scratch.

I would suggest you tell us what you don't like about W10 and see if we can make suggestions to tweak it to your liking. For example, I don't like Edge, Microsoft's new insistent default browser built into W10. So I made IE11 my default browser. I don't like Cortina so I don't use that either.

And if you prefer Windows 7 Start Menu instead of W10's, there is Start10 or Classic Shell to make W10 look and feel like W7.

And finally - worth repeating - W10 is more secure.

I hate not being able to find stuff like you could in Windows xp/7..lol

I guess classic shell could be of some use.. i attempted to use it in Windows 8 and something got messed up..

Digerati
March 11th, 2016, 07:47 PM
I hate not being able to find stuff like you could in Windows xp/7..lolI hear you. It does take some getting used to. But once you do, XP will look foreign.

I tried ClassicShell but preferred Start8 (and now Start10) so I can't answer to your problem that something got messed up. All I can say is many use ClassicShell and really like it too.

icsd71
March 15th, 2016, 12:22 AM
my computer just upgraded last night on its own. It takes longer now to load up. My games are slower to load also. how do i get it to be fast again? I was Windows 8.1.

JoeMcDonalds27
April 1st, 2016, 07:02 AM
You can click on the above link to Rollback from Windows 10 to your previous version of Windows

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/rollback-from-windows-10

Joe McDonalds | Tech Support
Cloudappsportal

Digerati
April 1st, 2016, 02:42 PM
IMO, rolling back to a superseded OS is a mistake. W10 is more secure so that alone is reason to stick with it. And typically, W10 is faster. I suspect your performance is having issues because it just upgraded (or it just did before Joe dredged up this thread from 2 weeks back).

When you first perform a major upgrade, like to a new OS - especially an OS that has been out for a bit, there typically are many updates that have been released since the OS first came out that need to be applied. These include driver and other updates designed to improve performance. Also, Windows needs a few user sessions to optimize itself and the files on your disk, based on how you use your computer.

So, if not too late, just wait a few days until W10 is fully updated and configured and you should see your performance levels return or even become better than with W8.1.

If still having performance issues, it would be good to see if they can be corrected within W10 rather than roll back to an older, less secure operating system.

icsd71
April 2nd, 2016, 01:37 PM
Things have gotten alot better. I didn't jump the gun and roll back. Thought I would give it a bit to work. Every time I loaded it up it got better. Almost as good as it use to be. Just have to get use to it. So hang in there folks and give it a little bit.

Digerati
April 2nd, 2016, 03:43 PM
Good. Glad you gave it a shot.

As far as getting used to it, that is the key. I never migrated to Windows Vista. Instead, I stuck with XP until Windows 7 came out. Then W7 looked pretty different and took some getting used to too - especially after using XP for so many years. But now, whenever I see an XP system, I feel almost lost. Now it seems foreign and clunky.

But as I noted above, if still having problems getting used to (or just liking) the W10 UI, do check out Start10 or Classic Shell. Also note that Start10 has a 30-day free trial period so you can check it out before spending any money.