PDA

View Full Version : Grub boot loader removal

ckasl
December 5th, 2003, 05:08 PM
I installed Windows XP on one hard drive and Redhat Linux 8.0 on a second hard drive using the Grub dual boot loader. The dual boot worked fine, but then I wanted to remove Redhat from my PC. So, I formatted the second hard drive with Redhat on it from Windows XP. All seemed fine until I rebooted and now I can't boot up Windows XP properly. It looks like the Grub boot loader is on my drive with Windows XP and because it "can't find" Redhat it is "stuck". Can I remove the Grub boot loader and regain access to Windows XP without formatting my drive with Windows XP and reinstalling Windows XP?

TommyD
December 6th, 2003, 05:16 AM
If you have the XP CD cd run the recovery console and use the command fixmbr That will rewrite the master boot record for XP

ckasl
December 7th, 2003, 05:44 AM
That is exactly what I needed to do! I can now boot up directly to Wndows XP. Thank you! If you have the XP CD cd run the recovery console and use the command fixmbr That will rewrite the master boot record for XP

TommyD
December 7th, 2003, 11:22 PM
That is exactly what I needed to do! I can now boot up directly to Wndows XP. Thank you!

No problem.... Glad that I could help...............

inflexion
August 9th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Sorry to bring up an old thread guys but this happened to me now the only problem is i cant remember my admin password for XP

I herd that there is a version of linux that over rights the password to "blank" do you know if this would do the trick and if so where can i get it?

Thanks

inflexion
August 9th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Sorted this now thanks to a few hours with google ;)

You just need a boot CD called Emegency Boot CD

You can find it here (http://ebcd.pcministry.com)

soelter
October 4th, 2004, 11:05 PM
If you have the XP CD cd run the recovery console and use the command fixmbr That will rewrite the master boot record for XPWhat can you do if you have Win2k Pro? Grub just hangs you on boot.

smurfy
October 5th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Hello soelter, welcome to the forums.
The commands are the same for Win2K. If your CD isn't booting, make sure your BIOS is set to boot from CD before Hard disk.

bugmenot
March 15th, 2005, 06:13 PM
The grub interface itself is pretty powerful. If you've deleted it's configuration files, you can probably still manually configure it and boot regardless. If you have the "grub> " prompt, this should be possible.

An example is:grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> chainloader +1
grub> boot
This says to look in the first partition of the first hard disk (hd0 == first IDE disk) for the next stage of the bootloader. If your Windows installation is on the 2nd partition of the first hard disk, it would obviously be (hd0,1).

Bruce Erlichman
June 29th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Unfortunately, "fixmbr" is only available in XP Professional
edition, not XP Home edition, which is what I have.
Any other way of removing Grub?

I have XP on one drive and Linux on another. I wish
to isolate the 2 OS's, having normal boot to XP and
booting Linux from CD.

Thanks for any help.

Bruce

Bruce Erlichman
June 29th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Forgot to mention that I have Knoppix. Could this
be of any help in removing Grub?

Bruce

kage
June 29th, 2005, 07:30 PM
With knoppix you could re-install grub, but not remove grub. If you could get a DOS floppy, or even something like a windows 98 boot floppy, then you could run the FIXMBR command, since you say it is not in the XP Home edition.

smurfy
June 30th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Nope, FIXMBR is a standard part of XP recovery console for Home and Professional, not in Win9x.

Bruce, what makes you think fixmbr is not available on YOUR XP home recovery console?
Here is the official Microsoft word on the recovery console:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314058

kage
June 30th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Ah, okay. I wasn't sure if it was in the 98 boot floppy or not, I don't use windows much. I know it is in the Win2k cd, though. :michaelan

smurfy
June 30th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Yep, as posted back in October, XP and 2K both use fixmbr, Win9x (and ME) use the /mbr switch on fdisk.exe (i.e fdisk /mbr from a boot disk command prompt) which will not help in a 2K/XP environment (in fact will probably make things worse.

TakeV
July 14th, 2006, 02:35 AM
Sorry, for digging up an old topic, but what does one do if they do not have the Windows XP disk?

kage
July 14th, 2006, 03:31 AM
You can download and create a rescue boot disk (floppy) for Windows 2k/XP, which will have the same commands (fixboot/fixmbr).

TakeV
July 14th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Ah, that would do it.

Thank you very much!

smurfy
July 14th, 2006, 04:55 AM
TakeV - you could also have a look at the information in this thread:
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120319

Frosty6677
September 28th, 2009, 05:56 AM
[QUOTE=inflexion;247775]Sorry to bring up an old thread guys but this happened to me now the only problem is i cant remember my admin password for XP

I am facing this problem now. How do I overite the admin password? I have tried pressing "Enter", I get "The password is not valid. Please retype the password."