PDA

View Full Version : WinME Control Panel Problem, help needed

Keven
May 18th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Hi, I have WindowsME but it has a small problem. When I try to open SOunds and Multimedia which is in Control Panel, a dialogue pops up saying

"an error occured while Windows working with the Control Panel file C:\Windows\System\mmsys.cpl"

Can anything be done to solve this problem?

kaz101
May 20th, 2001, 05:16 AM
Hi :)

sounds like your mmsys.cpl is either missing or corrupt. I think your best bet is to replace it.

It's one of the 'protected' files so you'll need to go in the back door (so to speak) or ME will just kick in and switch it back.

head down to C:/windows/options/install and pop open win_9.cab, in there is the original copy of mmsys.cpl... just check first to make sure you have it.

once you done that head to [THIS] (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q265/3/71.ASP) microsoft support article which will explain the ins and outs of it. If you run into trouble with it or need more help then by all means pop back and we'll take you through it step by step

[ 19 May 2001: Message edited by: kaz101 ]

Keven
May 21st, 2001, 04:02 AM
I restored the file, the problem still exists.

kaz101
May 21st, 2001, 04:53 AM
hmm... :(

should have done the trick... hope you don't mind if I ask a few ?'s

how long ago did the problem first appear?
did you install/uninstall anything around that time?
did you upgrade to ME?

would mind running through how you went about replacing the cpl file.. like the steps you took?

Keven
May 21st, 2001, 06:05 AM
After my upgrade from windows 98 the problem appered as soon as I got Windows ME up and running

kaz101
May 21st, 2001, 06:58 AM

hmmm .... I'm wondering if you have a hardware compatibility problem?

could you check your device manager and post back with what you find. To check your device manager right click your My Computer icon, select Properties, hit the Device Manager tab and expand the branches by the + What your looking for is anything out of the norm.. like a ? or ! something like that.

also have you updated drivers etc?

any other problems error messages since the upgrade?

Keven
May 21st, 2001, 03:56 PM
There isn't anything unusual there. But before there something called "Soundblaster Legacy PCI" and it had a ! beside its' name. I deleted it. But I don't think that would cause the problem.

kaz101
May 22nd, 2001, 05:52 AM

there something called "Soundblaster Legacy PCI" and it had a ! beside its' name.

if I remember correctly installing, uninstalling and deleting some media programs (like soundblaster)can have impact and change your .cpl files so the ! beside it could have been an indication that something had gone astray there.

Try taking your system through Windows Update to see what it picks up.. also take a look at [ZDNET UPDATES] (http://updates.cnet.com/)to see if it picks up anything for your drivers/verions etc and/or
[CNET CATCHUP] (http://catchup.cnet.com/)

I'm still struggling with why replacing your .cpl file didn't work... (thats a 'me' thing not a you 'thing' ;) confused is my middle name :D ) could you please post back with a step by step on how you went about doing it?

Keven
May 23rd, 2001, 02:23 AM
All of my files are up to date according to CNET CATCHUP.

kaz101
May 23rd, 2001, 02:50 AM
That's good news :)

Do you remember how you replaced the .cpl file?

or would you like me to write up a step by step and see if that's the way you did it?

Theoran
May 23rd, 2001, 09:01 AM
I would backup before going ahead with this.

Fixing Control Panel (http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/pctech/content/solutions/oe1809a.htm)

Keven
May 23rd, 2001, 12:37 PM
Thanks Theoran for a solution but it simply didn't work, thanks anyway :)
__________________________________________________ _______________________

Originally posted by kaz101:
<STRONG>That's good news :)

Do you remember how you replaced the .cpl file?

or would you like me to write up a step by step and see if that's the way you did it?</STRONG>

It would really help if you write it so I can see if that's how I did it

kaz101
May 23rd, 2001, 10:22 PM
Morning Keven :)

see if this rings a bell, if not give it a try and see what happens...

with comp shut down insert your Boot Disc
hit the power button
when it boots to the Start Menu..
select option 2 Start Comp with CD Rom Support
the screen comes up with This may take a while (and it can do too ;) )
you'll get an A:/&gt; when it's ready
at the prompt type in the following lines hitting Enter after each line

c:
cd windows (will take you to c:\&gt;windows )
cd system (will take you to c:\&gt;windows\system)
ren mmsys.cpl mmsys.old
cd.. (will take you back from windows system to windows)
cd.. (will take you back from windows to c:\&gt; )
a: (will take you to A prompt)
ext.exe (this launches the Extract Command)

it'll ask you to enter the path of the cab files
type in c:\windows\options\install

then it'll ask for the name of the file you want to extract
type in mmsys.cpl (hit enter)

then it'll ask where you want it extracted to
type in c:\windows\system (hit enter)

it'll ask you to confirm the details (check for typos etc ;) ) it should read like this..

Source path c:\windows\options\install
Files to extract mmsys.cpl
Destination c:\windows\system

if it's ok then type in Y and hit enter (if not hit N then go back and correct)

now you'll hear a bit of noise as it goes searching for the file, eventually it'll come up with the win_9.cab (if you get a do you want to replace prompt hit Y and enter) it's say something like Extracting mmsys.cpl Don't worry if this takes a while.

once it's done that you'll be taken back the A:/&gt; prompt
remove your Boot Disk
hit ctrl+alt+del

it'll reboot as per norm and put you back in windows

Keven
May 23rd, 2001, 10:47 PM
Morning :)

I'll post back as soon as I try it, thanks :)

Theoran
May 23rd, 2001, 10:57 PM
Good Morning? :) It's more like good night over here :) I hope everything turns out all right Keven. :)

Keven
May 26th, 2001, 05:47 PM
Hi :), Well good :)news and bad :( news. Good news is that I did all the commands properly and it went as kaz said. The bad news is that the problem still exists.

Theoran
May 27th, 2001, 09:18 PM
Is your sound card working properly or normailly?

This is all I could find on you particular error.

Error Message: Windows Has Encountered a Problem Accessing Mmsys.cpl (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q203/6/61.asp)
How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q129/6/05.ASP)