PDA

View Full Version : Open some file types

salamifreak
April 20th, 2004, 01:16 AM
Hello. I'm new to Linux, and would like to know about what program to download to open the file types
mid
exe
mp3

could anyone help?

twistedcranium
April 20th, 2004, 01:48 AM
Hello there and welcome to the wonderful world of Linux!!

First the easy one to explain: mp3
mp3 files can be played in a number of audio players in linux, and depending upon the distribution (RedHat, SuSE, Mandrake, etc) that you are using, there may already be a player installed. XMMS, found at http://www.xmms.org/ is probably the most widely used application to play audio files, including mp3s, in Linux.

mid:
XMMS, mentioned above can play midi files with the help of an additional plugin that must be installed or if you are using KDE as your DesktopEnvironment, try kmid. There are others as well, look at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/MIDI-HOWTO-8.html, for more info.

exe:
here is where the explaining gets a little tougher. EXE type files are executable files (aka programs) that are ONLY 'openable' on Windows systems (and even at that some EXE files only run on certain versions of windows). So you cannot take a Windows executable and run it on a linux system.** There are however, excutable files for Linux systems, and these can be run on Linux systems. Executable programs are built specifically for a particular system and will not run on another system. There are many applications that are built in different versions to run on Windows, MAC, and Linux systems, but you need the version specific to your system.

Hope this helps.

**I did put the asterisks here because technically windows 'exe' executables can be run in Linux under what is called Emulation mode. This 'Emulator' is a linux program that acts like windows and it runs the exe you want to run. A good example of this is a program called 'Wine', but I don't suggest looking into using this, or any other emulator, for a linux newbie. Get familiar with Linux first and I'm sure that you find an equivalent application in linux for one that you use in Windows. (((except games of course, but that is a whole different discussion)))

salamifreak
April 20th, 2004, 01:55 AM
OK, thank you for your help.

It turns out I did have XMMS, it was just that my Linux wasn't configured to automatically play audio files with XMMS. Without your help, I wouldn't have found it.

twistedcranium
April 20th, 2004, 02:01 AM
Which distro and version are you using?

salamifreak
April 20th, 2004, 02:07 AM
On recommendation from a close friend, I'm using the Red Hat distribution.

I'm not exactly sure what version....

Wait, one more thing. How do I associate the XMMS with all the audio files?

twistedcranium
April 20th, 2004, 02:16 AM
The XMMS right out of the RedHat 9 (and even 8.x) install may not play your mp3 files.

You cannot do a 'sweeping' association of audio file types, but if you right mouse click on the file in KDE Konqueror and pick 'Open With' and then check the box for 'Remember Application Association for This Type of File" you can set an 'associated app'. You'll need to do this for all file types that you want to play with XMMS.

salamifreak
April 20th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Err, I'm not exacty sure about that now. Maybe I'm using Fedora Core 1.... but my friend called it Red Hat, so I assumed it was Red Hat. I think I'm actually using Fedora Core 1.

Is red hat better than fedora core 1?

twistedcranium
April 20th, 2004, 02:35 AM
RedHat and Fedora are actually very closely related. Actually, the company known as RedHat used to have just 'RedHat Linux'. Then they started two products, one called RedHat Linux, which was a frilly, bells and whistles, new technology package that was free to download, only $40 to buy in boxed form, not completely stable (because of the new tech) and offered little or no tech support. The second was called 'RedHat Enterprise Linux' which was very stable (no new tech only known to be good stuff) which offered many levels of support at hundreds of $$ and was mostly used in server applications and mission critical systems.

RedHat recently decided that they were going to take the 'homebrew'/frills version and leave it in the hands of the Fedora group. The Fedora group is a group of developers that were basically testing and implementing the new tech for the previous RedHat versions.

So in look, feel, and structure.....Fedora is RedHat. Its the free version of RedHat's linux. RedHat is just going to take the stable features from the development and testing of Fedora and put them into their Enterprise Linux.

Fedora is not going to be 'supported' by RedHat, nor will they sell it in boxed form. Fedora will be a 'community' project: community support, community development, and community testing.

twistedcranium
April 20th, 2004, 02:37 AM
As far as 'better', you'll want to avoid the 'release candidate' versions of Fedora and opt for a full release (i.e. 1.0 or 2.0) if you wish to get a really stable version. If you're interested in getting your hands dirty though, there are regular releases of the release candidates.