PDA

View Full Version : BIG user problem NT4 service pack 6a

snowman
March 13th, 2001, 02:38 AM
This just started about a month ago but is getting worse.

I have started to have problems with users not being able to save their work, losing their printers, not being able to reinstall etc. They seem to lose all rights. Some are fatal. I have to issue a new user name and start again. Others are able to "revive" after awhile but in a few days it is back. I am running 50 nt4 computers on an nt 4 server domain in a school. There are about 200 users. It is frustrating.
Ex..... A user logs in and tries to open Visual Basic(something they have been using all year). A message comes back saying registry error.
Another will lose their printers and trying to reinstall will get a message saying... you don't have sufficient rights. I have even given them administrator rights and had them relog back in after syncronizing the domain....same thing..

Any answers???????

Thanks for any responses... (reasonable responses haha)

Merv

snowman
March 13th, 2001, 04:32 PM
Yes I suspect it is profiles to a point. I use roaming profiles. The BDC is authenticating as well. When things start happening I will create a new profile for the user.... really blows our naming scheme to heck. 9 times out 10 the new profile will get corrupted or the restrictions start reocurring. I am in the process of trying to see if it may be a corrupted application but all we use is Microsoft Office 97, Internet Explorer 5, and visual Basic 4 this term.
Merv

snowman
March 14th, 2001, 02:46 AM
I have checked user profile folders. All "seems" well. The only mapped drive was each user's home folder on another server.
What I did find upon checking further on the server was a problem in my event viewer that I hadn't noticed before. We have 3 schools on separate domains within our town. I had put each of their respective servers in an LMhost file and replicated. I am finding that computers in one school try to obtain a new IP # when it releases and may be given one in any school rather than the wins server in one of their respective schools. I can't figure it out yet. I have "separated" all schools for the time being and disabled LMHosts. Over the next few days I will see if things change on the network. This is the only thing I can see so far and I don't know if it is related or just compounding another problem

Merv
mervt@arctic.ca