PDA

View Full Version : Win 2000 Backup on NT Network

userzero
May 10th, 2001, 05:58 PM
Hey All,

We have an NT network here at the office. I'd like to stop using Veritas Backup Exec and try setting up a Win 2000 member server and using it to do network backups with its native utility. Question is, will this work with the NT network? Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Chris

userzero
May 11th, 2001, 07:17 PM
All of the other servers are NT 4. I'd like to try out the Win 2000 native backup utility as a may need to eventually use it in other networks. Kinda just want to know if it will work as a member server able to back up NT. Thoughts?

Thanks Much,

Chris

buddy12
May 13th, 2001, 12:21 AM
I'm in the same boat at my job. I need to find a backup solution for win2k. Just got an eval copy of backupexec 8.5 so I may try that (anyone know if backup exec can potentially backup to a file or cd rom burner? I know it does tape drives but can it output the backup to anything else?)
Re: the native utility, I was under the impression you couldn't do an enterprise (over the network) backup using NT Backup. I tried a local backup using NT Backup of the "system state" and the boot/system partitions including active directory etc on a win2k domain controller and it seemed to work fine.