PDA

View Full Version : savenow.exe

Tobmello
June 10th, 2001, 07:00 PM
Anyone familiar with this "process" or thread that shows up in task mgr (at least mine)?
I'm running win2k pro at home and once i log in locally it takes forever to load my desktop. When I open Task Mgr I see "Savenow.exe" using up 7 MBs of RAM, when I end that process, my desktop loads. also see that process sometimes when my IE crashes and hangs. Is it related to Active Desktop? Is AD a good or bad thing to have?

Thanks!
p.s I couldn't find anything on technet on this.

Theoran
June 11th, 2001, 02:41 AM
Do you have BearShare on your computer?

click here (http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0,10152,0-10106-110-5549587,00.html?gid=63806&tag=st.dl.10106-100-5549587.dir.10106-110-5549587) to download adaware to help you computer.

SaveNow displays context-related shopping pop-up windows ins IE and can also silently auto-update. The context information seems to reside on the client side so that no information has to be transmitted to the central server. The program runs permanently in the background (regardless of the installation status of BearShare) and takes up a considerable amount of memory (~8 MB) on my system. Silent auto-updates are equivalent to giving a key to your PC to these companies, they can do whatever they want and whenever they want it.

Theoran
June 11th, 2001, 02:46 AM
I read about savenow.exe here (http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=1778)

Tobmello
June 11th, 2001, 03:45 AM
Theoran, you're a lifesaver. I never intentionally installed any of those programs but found two of them (savenow and new.net) under Add/Remove Progams. I've removed em now and hopefully this won't happen anymore. Thanks a lot for your help!!!! Wonder how I can find out which site I visited which put that on my machine.

Theoran
June 11th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Tobmello,

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools / Internet Options / Advanced / and make sure the check box next to {b]Install on Demand[/b] is unchecked. If it is unchecked then things can be installed on your computer without you knowing such as savenow and the everso annoying comet cursor. When the box is unchecked a window will prompt you asking permission to install on your computer. I usually say no. :)