I have a P3 500mhz comp with 256 megs of ram
win2k pro OS

but for some strange reason the computer renamed itself (in settings) to

x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3
AT/AT COMPATIBLE
261,668 KB RAM

...... why this happened i do not know

another big problem is that

my mouse jumps around the screen every 5 seconds either freezing or clicking on everything opening and closing things. To solve the problem i usually switch the keyboard and the mouse plugs. This helps the problem for about 5 months then the problem gets worse (IE: freezing and crashing and keyboard and mouse lockups) as i am typing this message my mouse is erratically jumping around the screen trying to open and close a billion things at once.

I have been given advice to reinstall my windows files over my current windows files. But when i tried my windows cd didnt see my OS as a win2k pro but as a

x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3
AT/AT COMPATIBLE
and im all out of ideas. I would relly rather not format because of the importance of some files.

Please help me for i am not that technologically savvy :)

Junky
October 12th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Oh boy, ghost's again. ;)

I don't have the fogiest. I believe the best place to post this IS in the w2k forum. So I'm moving it there. Hopefully someone there can help.

smurfy
October 12th, 2001, 11:03 AM
1) x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3 =Pentium III
AT/AT COMPATIBLE = IBM compatible
261,668 KB RAM = 256MB

No problems there at all - Windows 2000 just reports what the CPU really IS, not it's brand name.

Mouse problems - normally incorrect mouse or video drivers - I'm surprised they worked when you swapped PS/2 ports (unless they're USB devices perhaps??) - are they rectangular or circular plugs?.

Not sure how to delete and reinstall drivers in W2k pro - got a work laptop here at home tonight but my job's not worth messing around with it after the trouble IT dept went to to build it with the apps I wanted :)

Theoran
October 12th, 2001, 03:34 PM
eXOnion,

Are you saying that when you right click on my computer / go to properties / select network identification / go to properties that your computer name has been changed to x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3
AT/AT COMPATIBLE
261,668 KB RAM?

If that is what you are saying, then all you have to do is rename it to what is was.

As for the mouse problems, remove the ball and clean out any and all gunk that is in there.

You can also do what smurfy suggested and reload or update your mouse drivers.

Another quick fix would be to right click on my computer / go to manage / device manager / click on the "+" (plus) sign and highlight your mouse. then, click on the remove button then click ok proceed to close down everything and reboot.