PDA

View Full Version : how do you format a hdd and do I have to?

TheFunkeyMonkey
January 21st, 2002, 02:59 AM
Building my first pc later this week.

Only things comming out of my current one are a 27gig hdd (not sure of speed), cdrw and dvd-rom.

This currenty pc was bulit by a company in the UK called Time (by the way avoid them at all costs). So it's mainly for first time computer buyers (like I was).

It has a nortan ghost image on it which brings the space down from 27 gig to 24 gig. I do not have a cd to format my hdd, only a reload disk which loads the ghost image delteing everything else on the hard drive, which returns the hard drive it its factory settings.

The ghost has win 98. Currenty I have it on dual boot with win 2k pro.

How do i wipe my hdd completely including the nortan ghost image?

When starting my new pc for the first time with a completly formated hdd do i just have the disc for the operating system I want, in one of my primary cd drives?

The operating system I am going to use will be Windows XP pro. I have win 98 se, win me, win 2k pro and win xp pro so not short of operating systems.

The cpu in my new pc will be an althlon xp 1500. I heard that win xp can get the best out of it.

I use my pc mainly for first person shooters, surfing the web and making websites in a flash 5 like program (which seems to need better specs than flash 5 does).

Cheers for any suggestions.

Mark

Dodge
January 21st, 2002, 03:27 AM
If you want to wipe everything out and do a Fresh install of XP then get a Win/98 bootup disk. You can download one at www.bootdisk.com (http://www.bootdisk.com) Download it to your harddrive, like it My Documents. Get a Floppy and format it. Then click on the Bootdisk file and it will Extract itself to the floppy....

After that is done, then Reboot your system with the floppy in. Choose start computer with Cdrom Support.

At the A: prompt type fdisk Press enter.

Delete your Partitions. After that is done, you will need to create a New Primary Dos Partition. Decide how big you want it. Then you can create any other partitions you want....

Then take your Floppy out. Insert the Windows XP CD... Reboot. It should Auto start. You can now start the installation process and you will need to Format the Hard drive using either Fat32 or NTFS. XP gives you the choice of which you want.

After it is done formatting, it will start the Installation of XP......

TheFunkeyMonkey
January 24th, 2002, 02:18 AM
Cheers Dodge,

Looked at the display of partitions, there was only the primary dos partition. Which is what I wanted as i could just delte that and make a new primary dos partition when setting up a new computer. How big should the new dos partition be? Currently its 25gig. Meaning theres 2 gig of the nortan ghost image.

So the nortan ghost image does not seem to be included in the main partition, there is only one partition being the main partition. So where could the nortan ghost image be? Where would I go to delte this image? Can I get to it though win 98 or is it just though dos?

Thanks

[ 23 January 2002: Message edited by: TheFunkeyMonkey ]