PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Win NT Splash Screen

m1cajah
November 8th, 2001, 03:16 PM
Hello everyone,

Hopefully a simple question. How do I change the WinNT splash screen?

There is no LOGO.SYS file, and the IO.SYS file is empty. Any clues?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mike

Steven.Bentley
November 8th, 2001, 10:53 PM
It's one of the .bmp files in c:\winnt\ or c:\winnt\system32

You can either overwrite with a new .bmp with the name, or I suspect that you could (if you're comfortable with Regedit) search for the filename of the current one in the regestry and change the value to the path to the new one.

MishY
November 9th, 2001, 01:35 PM
The default screen logos are kept in the WINNT.BMP file for workstations and the LANMANNT.BMP for servers.

Be sure to make a backup of the old splash screen incase you ever wish to return the splash screen to the default windows one.

buddy12
November 10th, 2001, 01:41 AM
is that the same for windows 2000 as well?

MishY
November 10th, 2001, 12:18 PM
For Windows 2000 you have to hack an .exe file using a program called Resource Hacker in safe mode to avoid the file protection. Unless its absolutely necessary I wouldn't do it personally.

However here are the instructions for doing so : Click Here (http://win2kstartup.cjb.net/)

FWIW I wouldn't recommend turning off windows file protection.

[ 10 November 2001: Message edited by: MishY ]

colonel1
July 22nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
For Windows 2000 you have to hack an .exe file using a program called Resource Hacker in safe mode to avoid the file protection. Unless its absolutely necessary I wouldn't do it personally.

However here are the instructions for doing so : Click Here (http://win2kstartup.cjb.net/)

FWIW I wouldn't recommend turning off windows file protection.

[ 10 November 2001: Message edited by: MishY ]

? Why not? I've done it safely. If you're adamant about customizing your system, you know how to turn it back on and you know what your doing it's perfectly safe.

I would, however, suggest that if you're new to the concepts of file replacement and malware that you install an antivirus program and keep your W2K/WXP disc handy.

Murray S.
July 22nd, 2008, 05:00 PM
colonel1:

This post is just about 8 years old. Suggest you check the dates before re-opening something that old.

Murray