PDA

View Full Version : uninstalling windows 2000

camchief
November 10th, 2001, 06:23 AM
I installed Windows 2000, and would like to uninstall it and reinstall 98. What does it take, and what problems should I expect?

Theoran
November 11th, 2001, 09:51 PM
You should expect no problems at all. Just follow these steps and you'll be on your way to having Windows 98 back on your system.

I'm going to assume that Win2000 was installed using the NTFS file system.

1.) Insert the Startup disk in the floppy disk drive, restart your computer. When the Microsoft Windows 98 Startup menu is displayed, select the Start computer without CD-ROM support menu option, and then press Enter.

At a command prompt, type fdisk, and then press Enter.

2.) Do you wish to enable large disk support?

Press Y and then press Enter. This will enable the FAT32 file system

3.) After you press Enter, the following fdisk Options menu is displayed:

1.Create DOS partition or Logical DOS Drive 2.Set active partition
3.Delete partition or Logical DOS Drive
4.Display partition information
5.Change current fixed disk drive

**Note** that option 5 is available only if you have two physical hard disks in the computer.

4.) Press 3 to select the Delete partition or Logical DOS Drive menu option, and then press Enter.

5.) After you press Enter, the following fdisk Options menu is displayed:

1.Delete Primary DOS Partition
2.Delete Extended DOS Partition
3.Delete Logical DOS Drive(s) in the Extended DOS Partition
4.Delete Non-DOS Partition

6.) Press 4 to select Delete Non-DOS Partition menu option, and then press Enter.

7.) After you press Enter, you will get the following sentence: What drive do you want to delete. Press Z and then press Enter. **Note** Z represents the drive letter that corresponds with your logical drive

8.) The next sentence states Enter Volume Label. If your partition doesn?t have a volume label then leave this blank and press Enter, if it does then type it in and then press Enter.

9.) The next sentence states Are you sure (Y/N). Press Y and then press Enter.

10.) Press ESC twice to get back to the main fdisk menu.

11.) You are now ready to create your partition or partitions.

The following links will walk you through the rest. :)
How to Create a Partition (http://members.tripod.com/ramblingsoftheoran/Tutorials/create-partiton.htm)
How to Format a Partition (http://members.tripod.com/ramblingsoftheoran/Tutorials/format-partition.htm)
How to Install Windows 98 (http://members.tripod.com/ramblingsoftheoran/Tutorials/install-win98.htm)

**Edit: Fixed the links. :)

[ 14 November 2001: Message edited by: Theoran ]

camchief
November 12th, 2001, 06:21 AM
I'm sorry Theoran, I'm not that computer literate. What's the NTFS file system? I could not link to the sites that walks me to through the rest of the reinstall. I don't want to screw anything up!

buddy12
November 13th, 2001, 06:00 AM
give it a shot, you won't hurt anything. Best way to learn this is to throw yourself into the fire! In some cases, caution is recommended. In this case, the only thing you need to do is back up your critical files before you attempt what Theoran described. You won't hurt your system by "screwing" up the uninstall.

Theoran - aren't there some cases however where fdisk will not delete that non-dos partition. I've been in some vicious loops before where it says I can't delete the extended partition until I delete the logical drive, then it says there are no logical drives defined....whats up wit dat?

buddy12
November 13th, 2001, 06:01 AM
those links are dead by the way. It starts to load, then fails. Something about violation of TOS

ceh383
November 13th, 2001, 08:55 PM
It's true, sometimes FDISK won't remove a NON-DOS partition. If you can't remove it with FDISK, download Wipeout (http://home.socal.rr.com/chansen/prog/wipeout.zip), it will remove it :D

mikeyb
November 22nd, 2001, 02:10 AM
i would like to delete w2kpro&install w98 again,too.i have a few gigs of music and data.i'm deathly afraid of losing all this precious stuff.will that happen?

Crime Boss
December 3rd, 2001, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by mikeyb:
<STRONG>i would like to delete w2kpro&install w98 again,too.i have a few gigs of music and data.i'm deathly afraid of losing all this precious stuff.will that happen?</STRONG>

Invest in a 2nd hard drive or a CDRW. Both options storage options are dirt cheap. If your deathly :D afraid of losing your precious data, then you should back it up.

Theoran
December 6th, 2001, 06:13 PM
If you don't want to lose your data then Crime Boss' suggestion is the way to go. I personally have a second hard drive where I store nothing but music, docs, etc. I have a habbit of formating my computer once a month so it is convenient to have all my data on another hard drive that will not be affected by a format.

How many partitions do you have on your hard drive? (If you have atleast 2, you couold move all of your data to this second partition and then format the C partition and put Win 98 on that partition.)