PDA

View Full Version : hard drives

supermanoncrack
August 8th, 2001, 09:30 PM
i need to know if all hard drives are compatable with all computers??

tweakthis
August 8th, 2001, 10:29 PM
Welcome to CTH. You'll probably get more responses if you post this in the hardware forum. To be honest, I don't know enough about Mac's (or other specialty computers) to say whether or not there is a difference in hard drives. I think that where ever you are purchasing the HD from can tell you if it is PC compatible. If need be, can you be more specific (type/brand of drive and system specs, please). Are you looking to purchase a specific drive for your system? To replace a current drive? To add a second drive? Are you building a computer? So many questions, so little information. ;) :D *lol*

Junky
August 9th, 2001, 01:54 AM
I think most hard drives are compatable with most computers. If you have a standard type PC, then any IDE or SCSI hard drive should work. Size can be limited to the motherboard CMOS though.

supermanoncrack
August 9th, 2001, 02:57 AM
well i have a compaq and it needs a new harddrive i was thinking about using the hard drive we bought for our old computer

tweakthis
August 9th, 2001, 04:01 AM
I don't know if Compaq is like e-machines in that it stores the OS files on the drive. I don't think so, though. Your old drive should be fine. Exactly how old are we talking about? A 540 mg drive is hard put to store Win95 or Win98 but anything larger should be OK. Post back if you need help. I would recommend posting in the appropriate forum (OS or hardware). :)