PDA

View Full Version : Need help making a *.reg file

Theoran
October 9th, 2001, 06:15 AM
Can anyone help me make my own reg files. I reformat so much and I have so many reg hacks that it becomes a pain when I have to edit the registry for hours on end.

Junky
October 9th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Hi Theoran,

Wish I could help ya, but that's one area I've done little messing around with. :(

zipulrich
October 9th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Where's Mosaic when you need her? ;)

maxximilian
October 9th, 2001, 04:17 PM
Theoran,

Definitely no expert in this area, but I believe all that is required is to open notepad and put in this:

REGEDIT4
Blank line is placed here
Registry key or hack is placed here: Example:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoFavoritesMenu"=hex:01,00,00,00
Blank line is placed here

You "save as" Filename.reg to someplace and then can double-click or right-click and merge, to enter the hack in the registry.

[ 09 October 2001: Message edited by: maxximilian ]

Junky
October 9th, 2001, 04:59 PM
OK, I'll go for that. :D

Mosaic1
October 10th, 2001, 07:08 AM
Be careful here. Spaces and "" and all kinds of things can trip you up. The way I recommend you do it is to make your changes and then export the particular Registry key you want to save. Put it someplace safe. Make a Folder and in it have subfolders. Each hack is described in a readme.txt The original Reg Key is exported here in case you change your mind. And the new Key as well. Next time you reinstall it shouldn't take you long to redo all your changes.