PDA

View Full Version : Want Help Making Xp Pro My C: Drive

chris18
April 3rd, 2003, 09:56 AM
I'm currently running a dual-booting system between ME & XP Pro. Initially I used ME as my default but because it had become increasingly more unstable I decided a couple of months ago to use XP Pro as default. Fortunately, everything other than my old Videologic web cam works ok with XP Pro.

My current system is:

Drive 0: C: Windows ME - 11.71GB FAT32 - with 1.69 GB free space
F: Windows XP Pro 11.71 GB FAT32 with 3.79 GB free space
I: 16.22 GB FAT32 - currently not used so 16.22 GB free space
J: 16.22 GB FAT32 - with 1.63 GB free space

Drive 1:
D: 1.98GB FAT32 used for purely personal data such as letters etc.
G: 10.74GB FAT32 general work space

I also have a CD-RW (E) and a DVD-ROM (H)

I now feel it's time to ditch ME because a) I hardly ever use it now and when I do it's very unstable b) it's taking up space which would be better used to increase my XP Pro area and the other two partitions.

As my XP Pro system is working fine is there a simple, clean and safe way to make XP Pro my permanent C: drive, delete the Windows_ME partition and then reallocate the freed space to XP Pro and the other two partitions ( if necessary).

Any help much appreciated.

bkdc
April 3rd, 2003, 03:48 PM
Here is what I would do. Since both OSs are on physical drive 0 I would just change the drive letter & then reformat the partition that originally contained ME.

Click START, ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS, COMPUTER MANAGEMENT, select STORAGE, DISK MANAGEMENT. To change drive letter, right click the appropriate partition, & select change drive letter.

I would change the original C to X, then change your F to C.

BEFORE deleting anything I would try it first by rebooting & performing a quick test for assurance. Worst case just change back & seek another solution.

If everything works fine go back change X to whatever you want and reformat partition.

Sounds good, hopefully it may help. Not saying its the best solution; but I would try it first.

GretaP
April 3rd, 2003, 06:03 PM
In order to incorporate the space from the "former" C partition into the other partitions, you would need to use a third-party partitioning utility, such as Partition Magic (http://powerquest.com/partitionmagic/) or Partition Commander (http://www.v-com.com/product/pc_ind.html), to name a couple.

chris18
April 4th, 2003, 10:12 AM
bkdc & GretaP
Thanks for the replies.

bkdc , you're method sounds so simple I can't help but think there must be a catch somewhere. For example, what happens if after chaging the drive letters I can't reboot into XP, how can I get back to my current dual-booting system?

Also, what about the software I have installed in XP. Would there be a problem within the registry etc. because the software has been installed on the F drive and that's now C?

GretaP thanks also for your input. Thought I probably would need to use something like Partition Magic to recover the freed space. I think Partition Magic 7 is safe to use with XP. I know I had problems with an earlier version when trying to setup XP originally as XP didn't seem to like the partitions I'd set up and I had to use FDISK for compatability.

See you haven't commented on bkdc suggestion. Do you think this will work and any thoughts on my comments about any boot problems and software?

As I said at the start I can't believe it can be as simple as bkdc suggests? Great if it works mind you.

bkdc
April 4th, 2003, 03:17 PM
I am not totally sure that it will work but it may be worth a try.

If you can not reboot into XP after the change, you can boot XP from the CD into the safe mode & switch the drives back. That was my reasoning for not deleting anything until you have tested the process.

I guess I am believer in the T. Edison quote that I use with my signature.

GretaP
April 4th, 2003, 04:45 PM
I guess the reason that I didn't comment on bkdc's method is twofold:

1) I have never tried changing the drive letters in the manner that bkdc suggests

2) Even if it does work to get the drive letter changed, there is still the matter of incorporating the space from the Windows ME partition into the other partition(s).......you would need to use a third-party utility to do this, unless you want to delete both the ME and the XP partitions and then re-create the partition for XP using the space from both partitions (losing any data currently in the XP partition, of course).

If you do want to try changing the drive letters, and are concerned about registry entries pointing to previous drive letters (and also, if you delete the ME partition and then use the space in already existing partitions, the fact that you have one less partition than before will automatically change the drive letters when you restart Windows), Partition Magic has a utility within it called DriveMapper, which will assist in changing, in the registry, previous drive letters to their new assignments.