PDA

View Full Version : "The RPC server is unavailable"

boo88
November 24th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Post SP2, I have been unable to install new programs. I'm on a new system, and minutes ago attempted to install the CD/DVD burning software. Upon clicking Install, I see this message:

"The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched.

The RPC server is unavailable."

The installation then quits. I did some Google research, and it seems that the issue lies in the DCom process being turned off. I followed the instructions on http://support.sas.com/rnd/itech/doc9/admin_oma/sasserver/comdcom/dcom_enable.html to enable it, but after trying to expand the "Computers" folder within Component Services, the window just closes and no "Distributed COM Configuration Properties" window appears as stated in the instructions. Thus, I cannot complete the process and enable DCom.

Can someone please help me with this? It seems I've met with dozens of dead ends only mere minutes after the discovery of this problem. Thank you in advance for your help. :)

zipulrich
November 24th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Do a search (on your computer) for a file called dcomcnfg.
Run it.

boo88
November 24th, 2004, 11:18 PM
That takes me back to the Component Services window, and after double clicking the Computers folder the window still closes as stated above. :( But thanks for your help.

EnderTheThrd
April 6th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Your problem is with InstallShield (iKernel.exe) which is somehow dependent (probably through RPC) on the Dcom service. Go to start>run, type services.msc.
services.msc lists services in alpha order. Find the one starting in Dcom. Open its properties and set it to start. Also set it to run automatically (so you don't have this problem in the future). Now try installing.
I just found this solution after having the problems you descibed (finally decided to fix it after I couldn't install a video driver).

Two ways this may have been disabled:
a) you visited grc.com (gibson research) and ran dcombobulator or
b) edited services.msc already, possibly after reading a page like BlackViper's,
in which case this is a little familiar.
Hope this fixes it!

roetorooter
April 9th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Find the one starting in Dcom. Open its properties and set it to start. Also set it to run automatically (so you don't have this problem in the future).

when i try to set it to start, I can't click it, could i get some help?

philrodd
April 20th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Right click, you'll see START.

AKI
July 5th, 2005, 06:48 PM
I am trying to remove a program with the add/remove program option in the control panel.
Then I get the message: The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) cannot be launched. The RPC server is unavailable.

Now I am trying the suggestion:

>Your problem is with InstallShield (iKernel.exe) which is somehow dependent
>(probably through RPC) on the Dcom service. Go to start>run, type >services.msc.
>services.msc lists services in alpha order. Find the one starting in Dcom.

There is no such service. What to do now? :(

I am also having a problem with the "Upload manager" service: Error 1083.

I am running XP pro

Please help!!!!

AdamBomb
July 16th, 2005, 03:44 AM
Now I am trying the suggestion:

>Your problem is with InstallShield (iKernel.exe) which is somehow dependent
>(probably through RPC) on the Dcom service. Go to start>run, type >services.msc.
>services.msc lists services in alpha order. Find the one starting in Dcom.

There is no such service. What to do now? :(

I have the EXACT same problem like, what the heck! i was wondering if there was somwhere i could download the Dcom program from.

Plz Help me too, Adam :(

AdamBomb
July 16th, 2005, 07:45 PM
"Bump" I really need help...

Michael358
December 31st, 2006, 01:11 PM
For the "RPC Server unavailable" and iKernel.exe problem:

This is an annoying problem. Here is the solution that worked for me:

1. In the run dialogue, type dcomcnfg. (This may look similiar to things you've already tried, keep going!)
2. Double click on Component Services.
3. Double click Computers.
4. Right click My Computer and press properties.
5. If you see a COM Security tab, click it.
6. In access permissions, click "Edit limits".
7. Click the add button and type "SYSTEM" in all caps, press okay's and apply's.
8. Do the same for the "Launch and Activation" box, which is right below access permissions.

That should work. "SYSTEM" should be allowed by default, though; I'm not sure why it isn't.

rawduke
January 15th, 2008, 04:07 AM

1. In the run dialogue, type dcomcnfg. (This may look similiar to things you've already tried, keep going!)
7. Click the add button and type "SYSTEM" in all caps, press okay's and apply's.
8. Do the same for the "Launch and Activation" box, which is right below access permissions.

That should work. "SYSTEM" should be allowed by default, though; I'm not sure why it isn't.

I appear to be having the same problem as "Boo888"
When I get to step # 3, "double click on Computers" the dcomcnfg program just closes. I don't get any further.
Anybody have another idea?
Thanks in advance!

MartianPharmacy
May 28th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Yeah, i have some games i want to play on my computer but i can't. What can we do if we can't get past step #3? I'm having the same problem as some of these guys.

ckbeme
July 5th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Thank you so much, Rawduke!! I've seen many 'partial' fixes for the RPC problem, but your is the first one I've found that takes the problem all the way to a complete resolution. I've postponed upgrading to SP2 until I built my latest system. I've had 3 or 4 real pain in the xxx probs since SP2.
One of the biggest pains is now fixed.

Thanks again.

Ck

Miniel
October 17th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Hi, I had this problem myself an hour ago. I followed instructions in this thread and I too had the problem where "computer" would just close the windows.

What I did:

Run dcomcnfg and double click on services which brings up the same alphabetical list. Look for DCOM. Right click and click on "start". The first time I tried it got to about half way then slowed down until it timed out. So the second try I waited until it had started (but not finished), then quickly started up the installation I was trying to install, to my surprise it worked! On restarting the PC I had to restart the dcom service again, but at least I got it to work some shape.

I think it's worth a try for anyone who can't get passed the "computer" window. Not a fix, but a temporary pass at least.

c_sameer
September 8th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks Michael

It worked for me

Mymagtech
January 12th, 2013, 02:24 PM

I followed instructions and it worked to install the chipset drivers, then I rebooted and tried the rest of the drivers and no love. When i try and go back in to the dcomcnfg I get to 'component services' and when i select the 'Computers' folder it closes the editor. Any ideas?

JMorela2
January 16th, 2013, 04:19 AM
If you go under services after opening dcomcnfg.exe it will bring up an alphabetical list of all the services on the system. Find RPC make sure that is started and also the RPC Server Locater should be started as well to allow the system to install programs/drivers/etc. I solved my issue through that way. There is probably more than one way around it, as with everything.

emmaugoh
April 15th, 2013, 12:36 PM
thank you rawdukthis worked for me...thanks for the Internet.....i dont know what to do for almost a week,