View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2017, 08:30 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
No luck yet? I wrote a g-mail
I am having a very perplexing problem! I wonder if you might shed some light on my darkened moments? I have been working on my computer, Windows XP Pro, for a while now, trying to get her up and running.
On a black screen, top left, it states the following, "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file." I have searched and searched, trying different things trying to figure out how to fix her. I tried an XP Pro boot.ini on a floppy, but I downloaded it from my vista laptop. I tried to download vista onto the XP hard-drive, to give her a new look. But that does not work? I can not even get in to format the hard-drive, which I really don't want to do, because of loss of info.
The "A" drive works well and so does the CD. I am totally stumped! Any help or suggestions you might have to assist me would be greatly appreciated! And oh by the way, you might have guessed by now, I didn't make a start-up disk for XP Pro. Not so sure if would have helped or not, but, maybe you can let me know that also?
Believe me, my little girl, "vista" and I have been doing a LOT of internet searching to find out how to fix her mom!
Thanks
Dee Kay