View Single Post
Old January 3rd, 2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon View Post

The old programs I was referring to are reruns, Mash, Hogans Heroes, Get Smart etc.

For your interest here is today's program guide for this area. (hope it's not geo blocked for you)
https://www.ourguide.com.au/tv_guide...d=03012019&t=6
Are you saying that MASH etc have not previously played in Australia? If so, then by all means watch MASH and Get Smart but I don't find Nazis fun and entertaining and I say no to Hogan's Heroes.

These remain popular in the US but I claim they run solely to avoid networks running test patterns. If the show is from the 1990's or earlier, that is what it is and those type of shows tend to populate networks that have only that. I think I like to throw up in my mouth if I come across anything from Norman Lear, like All in the Family and the Jeffersons, or miscellaneous other stuff like Growing Pains, the Brady Bunch, Bonanza, The Love Boat and so on.

The good news is that there are literally dozens of networks coming out with new general and specialty programs that are really quite good. I am addicted to the Science Channel (Mythbusters, What on Earth?) and the Travel Channel (Mysteries at the Museum). The History Channel is OK, though now it is mostly about antiques rather than the wars and politics of the past.

Many have decent phone apps and run some portion of their programming on demand on line, assuming distribution has not been limited by country. On line versions have fewer commercials in the breaks, and obviously there may be ways to download them without any breaks.

But for the discriminating viewer, TV is not the wasteland it was when Americans only had about 3 or 4 networks to live with.

Last edited by Total Noob; January 3rd, 2019 at 04:17 PM.