Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows Vista

Notices

Topic Tools
Old September 26th, 2008, 01:01 AM

Sudden error warnings on start up.

This morning I turned on laptop & seemed to have acquired some issues. Two error warnings come straight up;

1) Cannot find SABI.dll! Display manager will be closed. (dmhkcore)

2) C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\V2.0.50727\msco rwks.dll could not be loaded. (MOM.EXE - .NET Framework initialization Error)

I also noticed a new DEALIO toolbar too (I must have forgot to untick a box when installing a freeware prog).

I did a Hijackthis & deleted several entries with Dealio in them.

But a couple of my bookmarked sites needed re-setting. Plus when I opened Documents many of the thumbnails took a while to come up(very unusual). Also, my laptop lingers on SHUTTING DOWN for some time too.

Ive just also noticed that EASYBATTERYMANAGER & EASYSPEEDUP are giving error "not working" reports on start up too.

Just small annoying things like that have got me concerned.

I have a Samsung R60plus with AVG anti-virus/spy loaded.

What do I need to do here? Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited by MAJOR; September 26th, 2008 at 01:51 AM.

Old September 26th, 2008, 04:14 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi MAJOR. Did you install any new software or hardware before the problem occurred?
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:03 AM

Ive had to keep re-installing youtubecatcher recently but I think thats about it. My flatmate uses it occasionally for emails but he's not here right now. I cant see any new progs on its.
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:12 AM
CTH Subscriber

Ok. Well what I suggest you do is to try loading Last Known Good Configuration and see if that helps. To do this, restart your computer and tap F8 continuously as it restarts. Choose Last Known Good Configuration from the Menu and wait until Windows loads. Are you still getting error messages?
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:44 AM

Hi
I did the re-boot from best configs like u said. No joy. The 2 warnings still pop up instantly. The other 2 EASY ones havent been up on the last 2 re-boots. But the document file thumbnails are still slow. Is this a virus issue or registry one? Or both.

I did a regcure scan & got like 1860 problems! 930 file/path ref- 840 empty reg keys- 15 COMactiveX entries- 1 uninstall entry- 1 shared DLL- 4 appl paths- 2 window start up items- 3 file assoc- 68 prog shortcuts
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:49 AM
CTH Subscriber

Have you used RegCure to "fix" so called problems? If so, this may be the reason why you are having problems now. Sophos AntiVirus added detection for RegCure as a potentially unwanted program in January 2008. See here and here.
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:59 AM

No I dont have regcure, just the free scan which Ive only just got. So should I Revo it? I still need to fix the problems either way.

Actually I installed the free trial on 9th sept. It gives u a free scan & fixes about 4 small categories for free. But it was only a few items. The results above were only just taken so they are not fixed.

Last edited by MAJOR; September 26th, 2008 at 06:07 AM.
Old September 26th, 2008, 06:03 AM
CTH Subscriber

The easy option would be to run System Restore and restore to a date before the problems occurred. System Restore monitors dlls so if they have been deleted, they will have been backed up and System Restore will reinstate them.

Quote:
But it was only a few items.
That's all it takes to cause problems.
Old September 26th, 2008, 06:16 AM

So what about the 1800 problems above? Will system restore fix them too? Ive trashed Regcure already.
Old September 26th, 2008, 06:23 AM
CTH Subscriber

You are assuming that those 1800 problems actually exist. Did you read the information in the links I posted? If so and I was in your position I would be just a tad skeptical and would give System Restore a whirl.
Old September 26th, 2008, 03:44 PM

Oh dear. Looks like system restore isnt an option. For some bizarre reason it doesnt seem to have been keeping restore points even though system protection is turned on. Well, the drive boxes are ticked & always have been. The only restore points are from this past day! In fact the earliest is from when Ive just un-installed Regcure. The other few are from 4 windows updates. I dont seem to have anymore. Ive never done a system restore on this laptop before but I vaguely remember several months ago wanting to do one but, again, only having that days restore points to choose from. So its probably not a new problem. I went to restore back-up files & it said that I have no files backed up.

So I need a plan B!

Please tell me how to be certain that system restore is switched on & keeping daily restore points. Ive been through all the help info & as far as Im concerned it is turned on & has never been off. But it doesnt seem to have been working.
Old September 28th, 2008, 12:23 AM
CTH Subscriber

The only way to be certain that System Restore is creating restore points is to check them periodically.

Let see if those files exist.

Click on Start and type cmd in the Start Search box. Cmd.exe will appear at the top of the Menu. Rightclick on it and choose "Run as Administrator". Copy and paste the following command in the Code box after the prompt > and hit Enter.

dir /s /a "c:\sabi*.*" > c:\find.txt & start notepad c:\find.txt

Your drive will be scanned and when finished, Notepad will pop up with some information. Copy and paste it in this thread.

Now do the same for the below string and copy and paste that information here too.

dir /s /a "c:\mscorwks*.*" > c:\find1.txt & start notepad c:\find1.txt

Also tell me, do you have a Vista installation DVD?