Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Topic Tools
Old July 20th, 2010, 05:45 PM

Free Alternative to Microsoft Movie Maker

What would be your free alternative to Microsoft Movie Maker? I would not mind for a free, lighter program (but has to be a free full version, not free limited).

Will try what you recommend.

Thank you.

Old July 20th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Check out this thread https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202390. It talks about a few video editors. I can't comment on any except MS MovieMaker as that is the only one I've used.

I'm curious, what is the issue with MovieMaker? it is free.
Old July 21st, 2010, 03:07 PM

I can't speak for CyberTrek, but my main issue with MS Moviemaker would be the limited number of tracks allowed, relative lack of control over encoding, and difficulty syncing the video to an audio track (if that matters).
Old July 22nd, 2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackypanda View Post
I can't speak for CyberTrek, but my main issue with MS Moviemaker would be the limited number of tracks allowed, relative lack of control over encoding, and difficulty syncing the video to an audio track (if that matters).
Ok, you peaked my interest. What app do you use? I'm assuming its not free.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 04:04 AM

I've tried Adobe Premiere before. That's not free, so I've become a bit spoiled and I don't know how much I should expect from a free program . I found one called Wax which looks pretty good, barring that it only imports AVI, WAV, and images, but I haven't had the time to test it.

Last edited by wackypanda; July 23rd, 2010 at 04:16 AM.
Old July 27th, 2010, 05:06 AM

I love free more than anything, but when a program is a bit limited for my needs, I need to look at other freebies. With MMM, I lack the ability to...

...link a picture to a part of a song, so that when either moves, they stay synced without having to move the other and find the correct time line to match. Know what I mean?

...increase volume on individual sound clips.

...have a program less integrated into the OS.

...have a program that gets updated.

Wackypanda and I seem to have the same audio synch issue.

Wackypanda, what is the limit of audio you encountering?

z1p, thanks for the link. I will take a look at some. Maybe someone here will comment on them if they use them. I like reviews from people to prepare for problems or fun.

What I am doing is making a mini movie for family/friends, like a montage bit (which will eventually be download-able for them) by adding in pictures and video clips. Added some music tracks. I keep adding, removing, and deleting videos and pictures, having me relocate the audio or title overlays to match a certain bit. Tedious!

Some videos are lower than others, and my hearing is different than others. So, one video will have a family bit going on that is loud enough, but another you have to turn up the speakers. Maybe if there are some recommendations on freebies that can modify audio levels on a video (before I import it), will try.

I do search for free, open stuff on the internet of course, but often I like testimonies from trusted communities.

Thanks!

Last edited by CyberTrek; July 27th, 2010 at 05:09 AM.
Old July 27th, 2010, 02:12 PM

A good freebie for an audio tool is audacity. You should be able to work around limitation 2. As far as #1, I have to admit its a pain. I've done a couple of videos with it and wanted to have more than a slide show with music playing. So, I did end up spending quite of bit moving pics or changing the time they stayed up so that I got something that was in sync.

I did just notice that with MMA you can right click and adjust the volume level. Don't know if you've seen that or if it will help with your problem. But, Audacity is still a more powerful tool.
Old July 27th, 2010, 03:29 PM

As z1p has pointed out, Windows Movie Maker allows you to adjust audio levels, and I use it sometimes. But if the audio needs any adjusting (not counting audio that is interleaved with video; that would be easier to tweak using the video editor) I generally use Audacity first. I also use Audacity to get around the fact that only one audio track is allowed.

By audio sync issue, I meant that if I play the video in preview, everything is in sync, but when I export it the result is slightly off. Also, the way the waveform for the audio track is displayed is very unhelpful. (I am not sure if this bothers people who aren't syncing to individual beats. ) But there is definitely a problem there when it comes to rearranging segments. I suppose you will need something that doesn't require video segments to be continuous as WMM does. That way at least existing segments wouldn't move when you delete segments.

Last edited by wackypanda; July 27th, 2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 09:25 PM

I do have Audacity and have used it in my GSP classes to cut sound tracks, but not tried to see if it can increase the volume of a video file if possible.

A problem I am just encountering is now WMM crashes. I just updated my codecs today from 4x to 6.2. Was getting ffdshow errors from WMM sometimes so I figured I update my codecs.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm
Now Movie Maker crashes once it loads the .MSWMM file. Egads!!! Now I either uninstall my codecs pack and take the chance that not only WMM works again, but that nothing on the OS gets whacked and causes the OS to become unbootable and unstable, or see if I can fix it somehow.
Old August 4th, 2010, 03:06 AM

Oh, and the Movie maker version I have been using is on Vista Ultimate SP2.
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:59 AM

Whatever the updated codecs did, Movie Maker crashes while it is loading dozens of Haali Media Splitter icons in the task tray. Whoa! I uninstalled the codecs (OS still seems stable) and found a copy (took hours) of WMM 6.0 to reload. Still crashes. I then found an updated version bundled with Windows Live Essentials. It does not use networked files, go figure.

I have since tried a couple of other programs.

Avidemux, but it is not seem to be a movie maker but just a simple, single video editor.
VirtualDub, but it seems to be just for making screen presentations.

Anything else is either not a movie maker, handles like WMM (using videos and images, titles, etc), or quite outdated.

Some programs am going to try, as long as they are not outdated for more than two years and are full, fledged freebies:
Handbrake
VideoSpin by Pinnacle
DebugMode Wax
Old August 10th, 2010, 02:31 PM

Wow, VideoSpin is confusing if not buggy. I add in a video but it will not play (regardless of format). Does not like my images. Takes almost an hour (literally, I timed it) to load a 2M AVI file that WMM loads in a few seconds. Then, it still will not play it. The program can not be maximized to allow more viewing space.

Time to try the next program...
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:45 PM

Virtualdub works more or less like Avidemux. I'm not sure how to make screen presentations with it. As for Videospin, that sounds more like something went wrong during installation.

In any case, is Wax next? I have a vested interest in finding out.
Old August 11th, 2010, 05:37 PM

I tried Wax the other day, and it does not load all my files, images and videos. Loads some AVIs and not others, same with JPG, BMP, etc. Says it can not open files, yet they work anywhere and everywhere else.

I am trying to use Windows Movie Maker [beta] 15.3.2804.607 from their beta Live Essentials, but it is missing many features, like sorting as we could in v6. Does not have a collections area like v6. Also, since it relies on Explorer, and Vista can not show thumbnails (been working on this bug for over a year), very hard to see what I want to add from a glance. This is why too much integration into the OS is bad. Ug!

Here is what they told me about sorting...
http://windowslivehelp.com/thread.as...6-0b75e76e0218

Still trying other things, other software.

Last edited by CyberTrek; August 11th, 2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old September 5th, 2010, 07:18 AM

For an update, so far, the best program seems to be Microsoft's, but is so buggy and slow. Still trying other programs.