Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old July 20th, 2005, 01:50 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeeroEYuy
Replaced the 80 pin on one of the computers and this fixed the problem (HOWEVER, don't know if that was for sure the issue because we also needed to re-image this machine). Will check one that doesn't need reimaged later tonight
Thanks for keeping everyone informed........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffh
Here's a question - have you ever been able to burn that particular brand of CD? I thought I was having a similar problem recently, but when I tried a different brand of CD (one I had used successfuly many times in the past), it worked fine.
I'm going to try a different brand of cd tomorrow........

edit for update.......................Tried some...........Still fails

Last edited by Analog Kid; July 20th, 2005 at 07:52 PM.

Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:24 AM

40 PIN cable was not the answer... still investigating
bump
Old July 22nd, 2005, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeeroEYuy
40 PIN cable was not the answer... still investigating
bump
Good luck with your investigation inspector.
Is there not any type of utility that checks to see if your burner is working properly or not. I presume not, Or you would've said to try that out.
Thanks for your efforts and Good Luck...
Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:11 PM

Smile

Hi all,

(Apologies in advance for the long-winded post,just returned home from visiting friends after long day at work and now i can't sleep )

I noticed alot of users with the same problem i was experiencing a few months ago.

I have a Lite-on DVD-RW LDW-411s

Was able to burn both cd-r and dvd without dramas,then out of the blue unable to produce a finished burn with cd-r only dvd.Thought how could this be?the drive is still reading cd-r,dvd's without problems,only not able to burn cd-r,nero would process the burn procedure,but when finished left with blank cd.

After many nero updates,windows updates,yelling and screaming at the drive,threats of death to drive by roadkill methods.Was ready to purchase new drive.

Most of you may have already tried this or have no downloads for your particular model.

But my solution was a simple latest firmware update from Lite-on.

I know some of you won't want to hear this but now all cd media is burnable for me again...sorry for the bad news.

I may be an IT technician,but i cannot understand some of the workings of PC related problems i experience throughout my day,client ask to fix particular problem,i walk in fix problem,client asks how this problem occurred,i give a look at client,look at PC,look at client,shrug and say,bloody microsoft!!!(no pun intended)Just some of the pc related issues are just bloody weird.Not all,just the crazy,possible user-weather-direction of monitor-position of tower-location of site-coffee stained keyboard issues...."Man....i gotta get some sleep"

Client has two identical machines,same model type HDD,1st machine HDD operates perfectly,2nd machine HDD no joy,1st machine has bios vers 1.02,2nd machine has bios vers 1.08,one would think the latest bios vers everything ok,not so here,adv client to rollback 2nd machine to vers 1.02,all ok,seems somewhere along the vers updates,HDD runs into problems.Haven't the time to study and find out the reasoning behind this particular issue,so i go with what works.Call me ignorant,lazy or whatever,but i know how to fix pc's,just don't ask me the reasoning behind the fault.

All people are created different,somehow PC's pick up on this and want to follow suit,buggars..

anyways back to the issue at hand,,,

Possibly issue with new sp2 updates,although not actually a problem with original release of sp2,as i updated to sp2 awhile ago before my problem occurred,i would say it was a windows update for sp2 later on down the track that caused the problem for me.Even when i updated NERO still didnt fix problem,even tried burning with other proggies,no good,so that's when i realised,it must have something to do with my actual drive PROM configuration,so i updated firmware and well let's not go on about it as this may not help everyone here.
Burning drives failed to burn disk after upgrade Windows XP from SP1 to SP2
http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/english/...t_news.asp#A38

So post the models of dvd recorders you'all have and maybe we can find a fix for everyone.

cheers,
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:48 PM

BUMP
I wanted to follow up on this and describe some solutions:

1 - the 40 pin suggestion is crap. 80 min is fine
2 - Talked with a Microsoft support person and found there could be a MILLION reasons why this happens: So here are a handful of fixes, let me know which ones worked for you and if none do, let me know, I'll have more in my compilation. AND IM ASSUMING WE CHECKED CABLES FIRST AND REPLACE FIRST BEFORE DOING THESE SUGGESTIONS BELOW!

FIRST RESOLUTION - Do you have ROXIO Easy CD Creator installed? They say version 3 and 4 causes this, but most of the people posting on the MS Partner site for technical support say it happens with version 5 as well. This causes issues with the Drives, Uninstall the program, REBOOT and see if that doesn't help then try and resinstall the program afterwards with all the updates from the website.

SECOND RESOLUTION - Go into the Device Manager - > Uninstall/Delete your Rom Drive, REBOOT and let the system redetect it. Most drives are OS system driver ready and should be re picked up by Windows xp. NOTE: This fixed ONE of the 3 systems we had issues with.

3rd RESOLUTION - REGISTRY EDIT
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows. Microsoft nor I cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325
-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325
-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

Please note: if you don't find the two registry keys, please do nothing.

6. Quit Registry Editor.

NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value,
if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD
recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem
recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. REBOOT SYSTEM and test it out

4th RESOLUTION - UPDATE motherboard Drivers
This actually helped on our 3rd system. lol. If you read previous posts you'll find that we actually had 3 systems this happened on simotaneously (still think it happened when windows update did something, only thing that explains all 3 occurences). The motherboard drivers maybe outdated now with the latest windows update and need to be updated (flashed) so that the correct transportation protocols are installed (verbaige).

5th RESOLUTION - Install Firmware updates for your Drive if it is not OS Driver compliant/Ready like the Liteon Drivers explained above

AGAIN, the CSR for Microsoft Partner Support and I spent days both coming up with a plethora of things that can cause this, and I just posted what I thought the top 5 were

Alright, I bumped the message, gave some solutions... HOLMES OUT!
Old July 28th, 2005, 06:47 PM

Wow Sherlock, You've been busy investegating indeed, What a guy

I dont have Roxio easy cd creator installed, so thats not a problem :chinese:
I have already tried uninstalling my dvd drive, still no joy ( i did try it again )
I found the two registry keys and now the're history, Still no success....
the firmware of my burner has been updated, Needless to say
As for that mother of a board, I'm in the process of finding out how/ what to do.
I'll get back a report when i find out what to do, So that i dont break the machine.
Thanks a million for all your time and effort thats been put into this project. It's a strange one indeed. Anyway, At least i can burn something ( dvd's )
Hope to post back something successful soon

Thanks again, Peter....
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:55 PM

This may not help you out, but i have the opposite problem. I can Burn CD's and not DVD's. I've tried most of what you have listed above with no success. I also have a dual boot machine so i even booted into my essentally clean win 2k OS and installed dvd decrypter and tried to burn, still made me a coaster.

After this i looked at the disc and noticed some small scuff looking marks..very faint but still there. Didn't see CD Rom cleaner mentioned on this forum so i figured i would mention it. figure my Lite-On is either dirty or dead.
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlou
This may not help you out, but i have the opposite problem. I can Burn CD's and not DVD's.

Ok, Let's strike a deal. You burn the CD's and I'll burn the DVD's, Between us we can help each other out......
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:41 PM

hey sounds good to me

i'll have to stop by staples for some CD mailers
Old August 6th, 2005, 05:21 PM

Can't burn cd

Hi there, I also have the same problem. Please keep me updated if you have any solution. THanks.
Old August 7th, 2005, 10:46 PM

Nero

Hi all, new to this forum. I am having the same problem. I am Running Nero. I can burn DVD's fine. Use to be able to burn cd's fine untill recently. I have tried everything but a firmware update on my burners. Yes this affects both my burners. I have a lite on cdr and a dvdr. I cannot even back up data using windows xp and explorer.

I just came back from holidays with a heap of happy pics and want to burn them to cd and I am not ammused. If I find a solution will let you know.

cheers

I have screwed around with nero updates etc and has not fixed my problem.

Last edited by culprit; August 7th, 2005 at 10:55 PM. Reason: further to post
Old August 8th, 2005, 02:25 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 8 Pro
Hi

people with TWO burners should at least see what happens when they disconnect both drives altogether.
then do a cold power-up.
Shut again and connect just ONE of the two.

test the first one, and then, after testing, shut again.
disconnect it again, do a restart, shut, and then connect the other.
again power up and test the second one.

when one wants to disconnect drives, make sure you are grounded, touch case, that the case has NO power on it, and do not leave power to any drive while there is no ribbon connected to it. Also, do not leave a ribbon in a drive that has no power plugged in. (I once killed a hard disk that way...)

while doing this, I would also check the jumpers for master/slave.
Do not put a slave drive at the END of a ribbon.
(I seldom used CS... )

try to avoid sandwishing the drives.
the dimples you see in their casings bottom are there for emitting heat.
the chips under them can cook... and sandwiching them is asking for a breakdown.
I once actually felt a chip fry in the casing, what made me remember that these bottoms get HOT very well. It got me a blister

no, I don't have its brand burned onto my index finger

anyway, most else has already been said (We do have a few Watsons here, haven't we?)

and still, a last comment
When calibration errors occur, and firmware updates nor cleaning the drive's lense does not help, my guess is that it is on the way out.
It's been a really long time I last had one that gave me intermittent calibration errors, (it got me a few coasters) and that one would not even begin a burn because of it soon after.
(jeesh, talk about long time ago... (it was a two speed SCSI burner)
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Further, I have updated both drives firmware. Disconected each and cold started etc. No Avail. They both get to 6% and then stop. It's not the media as I have used 70 of the 100 I purchased without an issue and will try another brand just in case.

This is a SP2 issue I feel and it's *issing me off. :P
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by culprit
Further, I have updated both drives firmware. Disconected each and cold started etc. No Avail. They both get to 6% and then stop. It's not the media as I have used 70 of the 100 I purchased without an issue and will try another brand just in case.

This is a SP2 issue I feel and it's *issing me off. :P

Yes, I know how you feel. It's got to the point where having tried everything suggested, I've decided just to order a new dvd-burner, Stuff it.

As for the sp2 issue, I uninstalled it and still got the same error.....

Big thanks to everyone for all their advice and input.....

It's a shame theres not a utility to test your burner to find out if its working properly or not, As i presume the cd laser is 'kapoot'
Still burning dvd's like a dream tho' ....................weird...
Old August 8th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 8 Pro
hi

I am getting really curious about why both stop at 6 percent..
That don't sound like a calibration error, like the error someone reported earlier.

even dust on the lenses is kinda ruled out, as it would be a big coincidence they both fail at 6 %.

so what next?
isn't it so that some chipsets and software interacting with it can have an issue with Direct Memory access?
why not disable DMA on the drives (In hardware manager and in the BIOS too most like)
See what that gives?