Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Topic Tools
Old July 20th, 2018, 01:18 PM

Laptop Not Connecting to Internet

My laptop was able to connect from home without an issue Wednesday night. Everything fine until last night I turned it on and it would not access WIFI. Would see local network but not external. My work laptop accessed WIFI fine and I accessed my corporate connection without an issue. The dinky prepaid Android device (which people call "smart phones" even though it is a little computer with a faulty phone program) can use the Internet fine. Slow, but fine. Just my personal laptop (my last personal computer surviving).

I reset the connection. I tried Ethernet. I unplugged everything for a bit. Took battery out of laptop while it was off and cleared any memory by holding down power for a few seconds. Even plugged directly into the modem via Ethernet, it would not access it. I tried "SFC", "chkdsk /f", several "ifconfig" and "netsh" commands, and even a system restore from a point last week. Nothing.

I brought it into work today, WIFI works fine. I am online.

Could my ISP be blocking my laptop from Internet access since it would not even work from the modem alone?
Could it be OS corruption that only a system reinstall could fix? I need to make an offline (the only way to go as no one always has 24/7 online access and never will) restore somehow. Need a large USB or something.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited by CyberTrek; July 20th, 2018 at 02:21 PM.

Old July 21st, 2018, 04:00 AM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
clarification - you said you tried it with wire, you were not that clear, did it not work either?

try safemode with network at home. this will tell whether or not software is blocking it. also do a power cycle on your router. sometimes, for whatever reason, you can lose connection on one device while others work without any problems. pull the power on the modem and router for a slow 10 count, plug in the modem first, wait for it to cycle completely on , then do the router.
Old July 21st, 2018, 11:58 PM

I have done all of that.
Now since it worked at work with no problem, I went back into the network settings and found that it now went from automatically IP grabbing to manual, but with no entire in IP but the DNS had 0.0.0.0. So at home I set it back to automatic and it worked. Got online wireless and Ethernet.
Now why deleting the connections did not help, who knows. Guess having it connect at work did something to help fix the issue.....?

All good now though, finally.
Old August 16th, 2018, 06:29 AM

thanks..
Old November 29th, 2018, 01:15 PM

I had faced a similar issue few months back when my laptop wasn't connecting to my home network. It worked perfectly with the office WiFi. Even my Smartphone grabbed the home connection. I asked my ISP for a visit. He made a few changes with the DNS and gave me an external WiFi connector device. It is a tiny piece, even smaller than a USB drive. It attaches through the USB of the system. That worked. God knows how and why. Maybe the ISP covered up their fault of weak signals through the new setup.
But things have got better now.
Old December 12th, 2018, 10:08 AM

is your problem resolved by now?