Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Topic Tools
Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:36 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Termination - need opinion

Dear all,

I have to collect your opinion in a situation we had in the company a week ago.
My employer has fired 4 of our best IT engineers in a very fast and seemingly rude decision.
The company was late in one month salary. More over this month, company gave only half salary for all the employees, without prior notification.
The employees got upset, and wrote a letter to the managing director for a meeting about this situation. Mr. X (who is the MD) got very upset, and called the project manager, and fired all the people who signed the request.
Please read the letter the guys have written (which was the reason of their termination) and tell me if they were wrong. It will be helpful if you also include your designation in your company so I can do better analysis to your answers. The reason why I need your opinion is that I have decided to leave the company because (as an IT engineer) I think engineers have to be treated with more respect. And before I leave the company, I will include in my resignation letter your answers. So the man can understand what is right and wrong. Anyhow, if most of you say that the Mr. X is right, I may rethink about resigning.
Now please read the letter which caused this mess:

To
The MD
ABC COMPANY

Subject: Request for meeting
Dear Sir
We the employees of ABC request to have a meeting with you regarding the following issues:
• Delayed Salary
• Notification of delayed Salary
• Half Salary
• Contract copy of Manpower to XYZ
• Status on Project initiation

We request you to meet you at the earliest, if possible today at 2:00 PM to discuss the above mentioned issues.

Thanking you
Sincerely

ABC COMPANY Staff

Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:33 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Nikola, go to your union about this. If you have not joined one you may see the merit of unions. Pay should be on time and it is a perfectly legitimate reason to request a meeting with the boss when it isn't, to be fired for this suggests that this company/boss is not worth working for. However a union has a bit more clout that a few employees, as you have just learned. Best of luck, and perhaps it's time to be looking for a new job.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:47 AM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
instead of discussing it here, it may be best to discuss it with an attorney. sounds like there is a good case for a lawsuit depending upon the whole situation. You are only posting one side of the issue. There may be something from the other side that could affect some of our opinions.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:23 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Not to mention different employment law in various countries.
Middle east is probably vastly different to US or Aus law. The money may be great, but there's probably a reason it's well above international market rates - the conditions and protections we take for granted aren't available.

Were they employees or contractors?
If whatever they signed when being employed has conditions that allow for this sort of dismissal any reason, then there's probably not much you can do except voting with your feet.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:46 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
Not to mention different employment law in various countries.
Middle east is probably vastly different to US or Aus law. The money may be great, but there's probably a reason it's well above international market rates - the conditions and protections we take for granted aren't available.

Were they employees or contractors?
If whatever they signed when being employed has conditions that allow for this sort of dismissal any reason, then there's probably not much you can do except voting with your feet.
Thanks all for the replies till now. Anyhow, i am not in the middle east, the guys, are direct employees...there are no such conditions in the contract that allow delayed salary payments... we work for government and research and upgrade Geographical information Systems... Thanks again for your advice, and i will not be sorry for any step i will take in a couple of weeks... any how, i put this on open discussion to help me with my decision , and of course lawyers will be happy to know our case...
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:28 AM

You could pose the question here and might get a feel for what you can do about this despicable abuse.
That is if you live in the U.S.

http://www.freeadvice.com/law-questions/
Old July 12th, 2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolasvarma - Extracts from Post:
...a situation we had in the company a week ago.

My employer has fired 4 of our best IT engineers in a very fast and seemingly rude decision.

The company was late in one month salary. More over this month, company gave only half salary for all the employees, without prior notification...Mr. X (who is the MD)...fired all the people who signed the request...regarding the...issues:
• Delayed Salary
• Notification of delayed Salary
• Half Salary
• Contract copy of Manpower to XYZ
• Status on Project initiation
nikolasvarma, you certainly have described quite a distressing situation. But you have not specified your State or Country for that matter. As already noted in responses, law varies dependent on jurisdiction and country for that matter. And not all places have a union you can go to (nor do some companies!).

Cigar Smoker has pointed a direction (for USA) for you to consider.

If you are in Australia, my suggestion is for you to check out this Fair Work online website that provides information about unfair dismissal:
Quote:
A person has been unfairly dismissed if Fair Work Australia finds that:
  • they were dismissed, and
  • the dismissal was harsh, unjust or unreasonable, and
  • the dismissal was not a case of genuine redundancy.

It’s not an unfair dismissal if the employer is a small business employer - employs fewer than 15 employees (up to 1 January 2011 this means 15 full-time equivalent employees) and they follow the Small Business Fair Dismissal Code when dismissing an employee.
You appear to ask if it was unlawful termination of employees. Australia's National workplace laws make it illegal to dismiss an employee on a range of grounds, which include filing a complaint, or participating in proceedings, against an employer.

Also check out this link Things Everyone Should Know

If you are not Australian, then I expect you may have similar type of government agencies in your country...also check out a legal aid centre, such as a "Community Legal Centre" in your area which may be able to provide you with free legal advice.

If you are in Australia, then you would need to action a complaint within a two week timeframe with Fair Work (website outlines application procedure).

Hope you find those referrals helpful. Good luck!

Cheers

LS