Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

Topic Tools
Old February 1st, 2019, 05:08 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Anyone an expert on DHCP?

I have a device, a receiver for ADS-B & MLAT signals from aircraft that is connected to my internet router and feeds the signal received to a base where it is combined with data from other receivers around the world to produce a worldwide map of aircraft locations, height and direction etc.

My receiver has unfortunately failed on several occasions after a power outage when it has failed to gain an IP address from the DHCP server in the internet router, the receiver appears to be working OK in that the lights on both the front panel and at the RJ45 jack on the back flash as normal.

Rebooting the receiver or the router does nothing the situation stays the same. If I just leave the receiver turned on and connected to the router it will suddenly start working with an IP address after 7 or 8 hours. Can anyone offer any insights into this? Is it the receiver or the DHCP server at fault? How can I prove which it is?

Any ideas on things I could try?

Last edited by Ned Seagoon; February 1st, 2019 at 06:03 AM.

Old February 1st, 2019, 07:26 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Hey Neddie.
Not sure why the device is failing to reconnect each time but the "come alive by itself" sounds like DCHP lease renewal. I was suspecting boot order (the receiver comes back online before the router/DHCP server) but you kind of eliminate that by rebooting after the fact with no positive impact. When the DHCP lease expires (default is probably 24 hours) the router will let it reconnect.

Is the receiver getting the same IP address each time, or is it actually getting dynamically assigned?

Is it worth reserving a Static IP for that MAC address in the DHCP settings?

Does your router have any logging you can view/enable?
Old February 1st, 2019, 09:34 AM

Thanks Smurfy, the receiver always gets the same IP address 10.0.0.1, the router was supplied by Telstra and seems to be completely locked down, it is a Technicolor TG799-vac VDSL Max Gateway, with an IP address of 10.0.0.138. By entering the Gateway address in my browser I get a graphical page with a number of options, by clicking on the Advanced option I get the following:-

No idea where I can go from here.
Old February 1st, 2019, 02:20 PM

I went exploring in the router and it appears I do have access to some settings, however I've forgotten most of what I ever knew, so I await some guidance of the steps I should take, if any.

One thing confuses me, the lease time is set to one hour, but the receiver did not gain an IP address for 6 to 7 hours, is something else going on??

Here is the page I found:-

Old February 1st, 2019, 07:05 PM

Setting a static address??? Not sure what host name I should be using, how to I find that? Is it the receive I'd be talking about?

I've found the MAC address of the receiver, if I give it a static IP address of 10.0.0.1, what should I set the start of the DHCP pool addresses to? Next number or leave a few?

Once I've done that should I reboot the router, it takes ages to reconnect to the WAN or can I just disconnect and then reconnect? Or something else??
Old February 1st, 2019, 10:13 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Correct, change the dynamic IPs to outside the range of any static ones you want to assign. I'd leave the 1st 10 for static assignments so would start your Dynamic range from 10. (note, you will then need to reboot any client device with a currently assigned IP between 1 and 10 or wait for their DHCP lease to renew). Ordinarily I'd suggest making any static IPs at the end of the range (starting at 100) but I'm not convinced the receiver will like getting a new IP and that may break more than it fixes.

Depending on the router software, when you click on "Add new static lease" option, it may come up with a list of all current connected devices, so it may be obvious which one is your receiver. Otherwise back on the main page, the "Devices" link should take you to the connected list.

The router should recognise whether the change requires a reboot, and prompt you do do a soft reboot if required.

Interestingly, your DHCP lease expiry is only 1 hour, so that makes the 7-8 hour delay more likely to be the receiver at fault.
Old February 1st, 2019, 10:22 PM

Thanks very much, I'll make the changes tonight after the aircraft traffic dies down and post tomorrow how I got on.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 03:00 AM

Oops, a problem.

I bit the bullet and made the change around an hour and a half ago, everything seemed to keep working OK, however I have just checked and the receiver appears to want a dynamic address even though it always has the same one.

I made the addresses from 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.9 as static with the dynamic addresses starting at 10.0.0.10 and allocated 10.0.0.1 to the MAC address of the receiver.

Which is what it had after I made the change.

But now I've found that the receiver is working OK but it has the IP address of 10.0.0.10 the first dynamic address.

So it appears that address was not the problem. It's working OK at the moment so I think I'll leave it well alone for the time being.

All ideas welcome.

Last edited by Ned Seagoon; February 2nd, 2019 at 04:45 PM.