Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Topic Tools
Old November 9th, 2018, 04:09 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
File using up massive amounts of memory- Moved by MURF

I've noticed my machine running real slow and when I look in processes I find this file using up gobs of memory. dllhost.exe COM Surrogate. When I stop the process my machine is back to normal but it keeps coming back. Do you know anything about this file and how to get rid of it permanently?

Thanks
kuzzz

Old November 9th, 2018, 08:21 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
This is (usually) a pretty important Windows process that allows other applications to run properly.
It is likely a 3rd party app is causing the excessive memory use, but in order to diagnose which one, Microsoft task manager alone isn't up to the job.
Resource monitor may help but ideally you should use Process Explorer which can be downloaded for free from Microsoft here.

It could also be a case of a malware infection, but let's consider the more benign first before referring you to malware removal.
Old November 11th, 2018, 01:53 AM
CTH Subscriber

I have downloaded Process Explorer I'm not sure how to use it. I found the file dllhost.exe but I don't know how to find out what app is using it.

kuzzz
Old November 12th, 2018, 01:25 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
My PE view is somewhat customised but you should be able to find the dllhost.exe process(es) in the tree and hover your mouse over it as shown below.
Use View>Select columns to add more informative details on memory and commandline if you need to.
Make sure the lower pane is set to show DLL in the view menu.

In my case, I can see it is Windows Thumbnail Cache dll running (but obviously not causing any issues).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dllhost_in_ProcessExplorer.jpg (464.2 KB, 6 views)
Old November 13th, 2018, 03:04 AM
CTH Subscriber

Mine show 2 instances of it
dllhost.exe dllhost.exe 2,788 K 7,692 K 3996 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLHOST.EXE /PROCESSID:{30D49246-D217-465F-B00B-AC9DDD652EB7} COM Surrogate Microsoft Corporation

dllhost.exe dllhost.exe < 0.01 6,848 K 9,708 K 4056 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLHOST.EXE /PROCESSID:{3EB3C877-1F16-487C-9050-104DBCD66683} COM Surrogate Microsoft Corporation

But it still doesn't tell me why it would be using up so much memory and slowing down my pc to almost a stand still.

kuzzz
Old November 13th, 2018, 03:37 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
May be related. Change the folder view from "medium icons" to list, or whatever icon view you have. The problem may be missing thumbnails and Windows is trying to recreate them (unsuccessfully), which can really slow a pc down.

But maybe a virus that has infected the dllhost.exe file. Let me move this over to our malware forum, not many folks left but maybe they can at least see if your system is clean.

I will PM them and let them know.
Old November 13th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Malware Removal Team

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Hello kuzzz.

Could you please send Farbar scan logs. Let's check.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.
Have a nice day.