Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old May 22nd, 2020, 08:28 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

HP p6228p

I had this pc at my house for three days, making it do everything. Then another day and a half, but every time I send it home the user gets this:

Old May 22nd, 2020, 08:28 PM

Okay, what happened to my pic attachment?
Old May 22nd, 2020, 08:32 PM

I guess the heck with the picture. The user boots to a DOS like screen, which says, "Error: CPU fan has failed. PC will automatically power down in a few seconds." But it never shows that to me, and I keep the side off and watch the fan. Never stops.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 08:43 PM
Jill

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
That's really weird Tom. If I were you I would go over to the users home, and see for myself what the the person is doing to cause that.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 12:31 AM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
think it might be the speed of the fan. maybe it is not spinning like it should. I would try another to see if it is the problem.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 04:49 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Yeah,
that doesn't seem right too me either.

Have you tried clearing the CMO' BIO's settings, dropping it back to the DEFAULT settings.
Then check the fan speed that the BIO's is showing, and what the WARNING SHUT DOWN speed is set at.
Sometimes Virus's or malware that infects a system can mess up settings in the CMO's BIO's and cause all kinds of strange things too occur.
Or a voltage surge, spike, static electricity can mess with the settings.

It could be a failed sensor in the CPU Fan.
If you can't check the fan speed in the BIO's settings.
Get a copy of SpeedFan: https://download.cnet.com/SpeedFan/3...-10067444.html
Run it, and see what it shows.

Signed: Ensign Tzap
Old May 23rd, 2020, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the ideas.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 03:49 PM

He called me this morning, he said he had turned the computer on and heard spin up and then it shut down. No CPU fan warning. I told him to take the side off of the PC and watch the fan activity while he was booting up. For some reason he tilted the PC to take the side off, then also hit the startup button while it was tilted. And it booted up just fine.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 04:14 PM

Maybe there is a loose connection that gets jostled around during transport. I would make a house-call and double check all connections are tight and secure.

I would also verify the wall outlet is wired properly. Here's my canned text on that:

Every home and every computer user (and computer tech) should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure the wall outlet is properly wired and grounded to Earth ground. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

I don't know why you cannot post your image file, but suddenly today, Malwarebytes Premium keeps warning me about a Trojan on CTH! Not good. It is pointing to pasteboard.co (which also triggers Malwarebytes when I go there directly - also not good). The reported IP is 176.58.107.101. Google tells me pasteboard is adware.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 04:29 PM
Jill

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Maybe there is a loose connection that gets jostled around during transport. I would make a house-call and double check all connections are tight and secure.

I would also verify the wall outlet is wired properly. Here's my canned text on that:

Every home and every computer user (and computer tech) should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure the wall outlet is properly wired and grounded to Earth ground. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

I don't know why you cannot post your image file, but suddenly today, Malwarebytes Premium keeps warning me about a Trojan on CTH! Not good. It is pointing to pasteboard.co (which also triggers Malwarebytes when I go there directly - also not good). The reported IP is 176.58.107.101. Google tells me pasteboard is adware.
I was thinking the same thing about something getting loose during the trip back to the owners house, because Tom had said that he checked the fans etc for a number of hours at his place, and it started and ran fine.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 07:17 PM

Digger, please p.m. admin about that Malwarebytes thing. Though we use ads here, and I suspect it's just part of the ad functions.

Heck, I'm going to suggest he just use a paperback book to tilt the computer correctly, and that will solve the problem.
Old May 24th, 2020, 02:31 PM

Computer worked, and then didn't work, and then worked again. I already checked the motherboard and looked for a bad caps and checked the RAM and all the connections, and I bet this is a bad motherboard issue.
Old May 24th, 2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Digger, please p.m. admin about that Malwarebytes thing. Though we use ads here, and I suspect it's just part of the ad functions.
May be but it caught my attention because it just started. I never used to get those warnings visiting CTH.
Old May 24th, 2020, 05:13 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintan View Post
Computer worked, and then didn't work, and then worked again. I already checked the motherboard and looked for a bad caps and checked the RAM and all the connections, and I bet this is a bad motherboard issue.
Hmmm.........

After looking at the Spec's of this system.
And the symptoms that are given.

I wonder if the Power Supply is going wonky?

Or......

It may be a flaky Power Switch, or Reset Switch on the Front Panel of the case.

Seen problems where the spring inside the momentary switch fails, causing it to short intermittently.
Thus, causing the computer to shutdown, or suddenly reset.

Disconnect the switches and test them with a Ohm meter.
While you have them disconnected.
Take a flat blade screwdriver, and carefully touch the pins of the Power ON pins header.
The system should startup, and remain running until you shut it down from the Power Supply, or just unplug it from the AC outlet.

Signed: Ensign Tzap

Last edited by Ensign Tzap; May 24th, 2020 at 11:25 PM.