Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old August 9th, 2019, 08:56 PM

Migrating with External Drive

So, I recently purchased a new computer with Win 10.

I had a lot of games on the old computer Win 7.

I am trying to copy the games to an external hard drive, and place them
on the new computer.

When I buy a game, it seems to want to insist upon where to install itself, always on the C drive.

Well, I don't want my games on the C drive, which is smaller and solid state. I have another manual drive, so when I transferred from the External to the new computer, that is where I put the games.

It took an insanely long time to get the games onto the external drive,
and even longer to move them from the external to the new computer.

Now, when I click on the folder I created for games in my new computer's manual (Not C) drive, it just sits there for fifteen minutes, until finally opening.

When they finally DO open, I can't find anything that will launch the game. No "exe" file anywhere!

I can't reinstall from the purchase source. Over the years I have changed bank accounts, email, and phone numbers dozens of times with no memory of passwords of many Steam and Gog accounts.

Have i permanently lost these games? and why do games insist on filling up the C drive? Why can't games run from something other than C?

Old August 9th, 2019, 09:10 PM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
you cannot just copy games to a different operating system and different computer. they could require registry entries and more. you will need the original disks or file to install.
Old August 9th, 2019, 09:15 PM

Thank you for the reply. These were never on disk. I paid for them, own them. They DId move to the new computer, when you open the game folder, it's full of files.....what is missing is anything that looks like what I understand to click to Launch a game. Can't see anything marked EXE. That makes no sense.
both Gog and Steam list these games as compatible with both Win 7 and Win 10. Why wouldn't they simply copy and move?'

You mention Registry Entries. Can't I simply copy the Registry from the old machine into the new one?

Would this have anything to do with me refusing to let the external put things on the C drive?

Last edited by lauranne44; August 9th, 2019 at 09:28 PM.