Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old September 22nd, 2011, 07:43 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Windows Update on Win7 x64 won't launch

I'm having all kinds of issues with my Acer Laptop running Win7 Pro SP1. I have not been able to launch the "windows update" feature for weeks. I get a notice when I boot that new updates are available. I click on the window that says the updates is ready & nothing happens. I click on the little flag at the bottom right corner of the screen. I select updates & nothing happens. Then I try to go to Start-All programs-Windows Update. I click on it. The process circle appears for a split second then nothing happens. Basically everything I try I can not launch Windows Update. I even tried Microsoft Fixit.exe. It found the problem but couldn't do anything about it, Can anyone tell me what is going on & how do I fix it.
Thanks!

Old September 22nd, 2011, 11:41 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
This could be related to the other issue you are having. Let's get that sorted out first and then we can look at this one, if it still exists.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 05:41 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Ok sounds good so what is the first thing I need to do to try & figure out what the problem is & how to solve it. Is there a diagnostic tool I should use? What's my first step. Though it has not happened as often other programs have behaved similarly. I click on them they never launch. I've also experienced a problem closing programs. I'd go to task manager & try to "end process" on something that was running. The window pops up to confirm you want to end process. I confirm but the program does not stop. I even try "end process tree" no luck. I can't kill the program. There has not been 1 specific program that does this, but it happens time to time.
Thanks!
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:09 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Ok, it looks like thrid party software is causing the problem with your shutdown issue and it may also be causing this problem too. Once you identify which software it is, we can see if uninstalling it, fixes this particular issue.