Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old September 30th, 2011, 02:41 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
After install, Windows gets stuck on a black screen (KSOD) with only a cursor

Hi!

I have a PC that I built myself (Q6600, Radeon HD 4870s (dual), 4GB RAM). I recently decided to upgrade from Vista to 7, finally. I had to do a custom install because it was 32-bit to 64-bit. Alas, I installed Windows 7, and after install, when it should load the initial setup, Windows 7 simply loads a black screen with a cursor. I can't Control-Alt-Delete. Nothing works. No right clicking.

Not sure what to do. I'm typically good at solving these problems on my own, but all of the information I've found on the internet has been useless.

DD

Old September 30th, 2011, 05:28 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Windows 7 custom install generally wipes the drive clean. Did you check to ensure your hardware was compat with 64bit? In particular Chipset and Network card?

Your Video Card 64bit drivers are HERE

Appears after the install it is hanging trying to find drivers for the drive. Get into BIOS SETUP and set to "Defaults", save and exit see if it boots.

No try tapping "F8" and see if it will boot into "Safe Mode"

Win7 generally has most drivers built in, but Video usually you install after loading.
Old September 30th, 2011, 05:28 PM
CTH Subscriber

hi Dark Dwarf,
as far as I know, you can not upgrade a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS, you need to do a clean or fresh install. If you need to keep files from the older OS you have two options, backup the files you want to keep to a different disk, or install the new OS on a different partition and move the files over after the new operating system is working.
Old September 30th, 2011, 11:30 PM

MaDef - Sorry, when I meant upgrade, I meant it only in the most literal of senses. The install was clean and I wiped the whole harddrive.

Murf - Thanks, I'll try that when I get back from class. If none of that works, I will try to install 32-bit and see if it boots.

More news soon. Thanks guy.
Old October 1st, 2011, 04:33 AM
CTH Subscriber

no big deal, if Murf's idea works let us know, if it doesn't we'll see if something else will work.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 02:33 AM

Safe Mode - Sort of. Actually, it boots to a screen that says that it cannot complete the install while in safe mode.

Defaults - Nope, same black screen.

Drivers - I don't know how I am supposed to install drivers when the computer won't boot..

32 vs. 64 bit - I reformatted and installed the 32-bit version. Same issue.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 04:19 PM
CTH Subscriber

Is the hard drive set to raid/AHCI mode in the BIOS? If so, you need to use the Intel SATA raid/AHCI driver during the install process. You'll need to put the drivers on a CD or USB key and provide them when prompted to. I don't remember the exact procedure since I've only had to install Windows 7 twice from scratch.