Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:26 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Just installed W7 and tried to update ATI drivers

Hi people,

For a long time i've been running Windows XP Professional, today, I finally went out and bought a proper genuine copy of Windows 7 Professional Retail edition.

I've got it all installed now (64-bit) version and its all running fine.

One thing I noticed is that when I installed it Windows has installed its own graphics drivers. XP never did this and you had to use a really small screen resolution, go onto the internet and download the driver to get it working.

I checked device manager and it says for Display Adaptors:

"ATi Radeon HD 4000 Series (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1)"

Note: I'm running a Radeon HD4870 1GB

I'm sure on XP it never had the Microsoft part in brackets. Does this mean that Windows has installed its own version of the drivers?

Having seen this, I went on to the ATI website and downloaded the latest drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. That included the drivers and the full catalyst suite.

I tried to install it, clicked express install, next.. and before it starts loading the driver data the computer gets a blue screen and restarts itself....

I tried again, but this time uninstalling the existing drivers... exactly the same happened

One thing I would mention is that 'dxdiag' is telling me that i'm running DirectX 11 - and my card only supports DX 10.1 - I didn't think this would be a problem although considered it worth mentioning

Would really appreciate some input into this as I want to get my proper graphics drivers and catalyst installed - i've tried watching some HD videos online as well and they are really really laggy, the video has fully buffered and its still really jumpy. Haven't installed any games yet!

Thanks

Last edited by Mass Carnage; August 25th, 2011 at 11:32 PM.

Old August 26th, 2011, 09:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Mass Carnage. It looks like the driver is bundled with W7. See here.

As far as other questions regarding your card is concerned, I think your best bet is to go straight to the horses mouth and contact the Manufacturer's support team. See the link here.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 05:29 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply

Ever since I put this question up i've just left it how it is as it wasn't a major problem

Now, i'm wanting to play Battlefield 3.

When I launch it, it tells me i've got ATi drivers 11.5 (from memory) although it requires 11.7

I've downloaded 11.9 (most recent) drivers including catalyst and i'm having exactly the same problem, computer shuts down and goes to blue screen about 20% into the installation of the drivers.

Computer reboots with the old 11.5 Windows drivers.

I've tried updating via Windows although apparently, i've got the latest update. Evidently not........

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Old October 3rd, 2011, 09:32 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
As I said earlier, your best option is to contact the manufacturers support team Mass Carnage. The issue may be related to your card but I dont work on hardware issues so I cant offer more help and no-one else has replied.