Notices

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old July 18th, 2019, 05:25 AM

RAM upgrade: No response from Manufacturer

Thank you for taking a look.

I purchased on a very tight budget in order to get something that would
run games.

Three weeks after purchase and still no reply from the supposed 24/7 support.
I simply want to upgrade the RAM in a new computer from 8 GB to 16 GB.
The computer was purchased through Amazon and evidently is no longer available.

This is roughly all I know:

Shinobee / Biostar Group model A960D+V3

Shinobee SSD Ultra 8-Core Gaming PC/Multimedia Desktop Computer - FX 8300 8 x 4.20 GHz - AMD Radeon RX 460 2GB DDR5 Graphics - 8GB DDR3-240GB SSD - 500GB HDD - Win10 Pro - CD/DVD±RW - WiFi #6006

I have no idea how to find the exactly correct RAM that will work.

Old July 18th, 2019, 11:09 AM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

The memory type is DDR3.
Your computer has 2 memory slots, and can use 16GB maximum. Open the case and see if you have 2 RAM sticks or just 1 installed. If 2, replace those with 2 8GB pieces of memory (giving you 16 GB of RAM). If only 1 slot is being used, then you have an 8GB stick and you'll only need to buy 1 more matching stick.
Good luck.
Old July 18th, 2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipulrich View Post
The memory type is DDR3.
Your computer has 2 memory slots, and can use 16GB maximum. Open the case and see if you have 2 RAM sticks or just 1 installed. If 2, replace those with 2 8GB pieces of memory (giving you 16 GB of RAM). If only 1 slot is being used, then you have an 8GB stick and you'll only need to buy 1 more matching stick.
Good luck.

Thank you. I am aware it is DDR3, but it appears as if there are a wide variety of DDR 3 sticks. Some would not fit my specific machine, and THAT is what I am trying to learn: What Specific RAM stick WILL fit my specific machine.

There is one filled slot, and one open slot. The computer manufacuturer claims to provide 24/7 tech support, but, as with many things these days, that turns out to be a Lie.

Trying not to have to open the case and remove the stick to find out Exactly What I need to upgrade with. People on Amazon have commented that they tried upgrading, but the stick would not fit. Although this is helpful, Not enough detail was given to find out what WILL work.

Thank you.
Old July 18th, 2019, 02:10 PM

maybe

no idea how reliable it is, but the Crucial company provides a diagnostic tool to identify which exact RAM stick will fit a machine.
Old July 18th, 2019, 04:25 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
no idea how reliable it is, but the Crucial company provides a diagnostic tool to identify which exact RAM stick will fit a machine.
That is a good place too start.

Did you get a manual for your motherboard?
It should say what types of Memory Modules will fit your motherboard.
Quote:
MEMORY Support Dual Channel DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600(OC)/1866(OC) MHz
2 x DDR3 DIMM Memory Slot
Max. Supports up to 16GB Memory
※DDR3-1866 for AM3+ CPU only
You can try Speccy https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download
To get the system spec's that way too.

If you are going to use this system for gaming.
Then getting a matched pair of 8Gb High Performance DDR3 Memory Modules would be the way to go.

Signed: Ensign Tzap
Old July 18th, 2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Tzap View Post
That is a good place too start.

Did you get a manual for your motherboard?
It should say what types of Memory Modules will fit your motherboard.
You can try Speccy https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download
To get the system spec's that way too.

If you are going to use this system for gaming.
Then getting a matched pair of 8Gb High Performance DDR3 Memory Modules would be the way to go.

Thank you. As a matter of fact, it did come with such a Motherboard manual. On a page saying "memory installation" it states

"supports DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600(oc) Each DIMM supports 1/2//4/8GB DDR3. Max Memory Capacity is 16 GB"

Most of that is meaningless to me.

Your response referred to
"High Performance" memory. What EXACTLY is "High Performance" and how do I find it?
Old July 18th, 2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Your response referred to
"High Performance" memory. What EXACTLY is "High Performance" and how do I find it?
Here is some available from NewEgg: https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Produ...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hope that helps you.

Old July 18th, 2019, 10:59 PM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
I would also suggest going to crucial.com and run their scan. it will tell you exactly what ram is needed and will give suggestions. you do not have to purchase your ram from there but you can use the info it gives.
Old July 18th, 2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Here is some available from NewEgg: https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Produ...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hope that helps you.

Thank you. Perhaps I am not being clear enough. Sorry if so.
I thought I stated that I already have one slot full.
I thougth I stated that I am on a very tight budget.
Perhaps I failed to make those things clear.

The link you provide is to a set of two sticks.
Are you saying that I would have to remove my one existing stick
and use these two?

Finally, sorry if I made a mistake. I THOUGHT I had asked you to Explain exactly what you meant by "High Performance".

I am sorry I did not make it clear that I know NOTHING about computer hardware, so this is not "understood automatically".

Thank you.
Old July 18th, 2019, 11:30 PM

Thank you. Sorry I was not clear. I thought I had stated that I already did their scan, but it offers several things and I am unable to understand what I am getting for my money. Is the one five bucks more expensive worth it? Can my computer use the extra whatever it is this provides?
The trouble is, this stuff does not Tell You what exactly you get in REAL LIFE TERMS.

"If you buy the more expensive one, your computer will be 25% less likely to crash" is something I could undertand.

REAL LIFE EXPERINCE that all this jargon specs will produce?
Old July 19th, 2019, 12:57 AM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Try this:

Install CPU-Z from this link. Run the program, and when it's finished (just a moment or two) it will give you more info about your computer than you ever want to know. BUT, at the top there will be different tabs. Click on the one that says 'Memory'. Post back here what it says (copy & paste is the easy way).

When you do that, I'll be able to tell you exactly what RAM you need to buy. Just get one stick, install it (we'll tell you how if you're unsure), and game on.
Old July 19th, 2019, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Try this:

Install CPU-Z from this link. Run the program, and when it's finished (just a moment or two) it will give you more info about your computer than you ever want to know. BUT, at the top there will be different tabs. Click on the one that says 'Memory'. Post back here what it says (copy & paste is the easy way).

When you do that, I'll be able to tell you exactly what RAM you need to buy. Just get one stick, install it (we'll tell you how if you're unsure), and game on.
I agree.

As for the Link to NewEgg on the Matched Pair of High Performance Gaming Memory Modules.

Yes, you would have to replace the one 8Gb module, because these Gaming Memory Modules are designed to work together as a matched pair to get the best Dual Channel Performance out of them.

Here's a Video on Upgrading your memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRCXYXszi8U

Since your on a tight budget.
Check what the cost will be for the next 8Gb Memory Stick, that will match your current 8Gb memory Stick.

Sometimes the cost of adding just that one memory stick, is more or about the same as just getting a matched pair of Memory sticks that will get you too the 16Gb's of memory that your after.

Old July 19th, 2019, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Try this:

Thanks. Like a huge majority of such sites, the link you suggest leads to a page where it is DELIBERATELY unclear what exactly you are downloading and giving permission to.

This, in my experience, leads to spyware, adware, malware of many types.

if you have a more trustworthy source with ONE CLEAR BUTTON TO DOWNLOAD ONLY ONE CERTIFIED THING, great.

A page with dozens of "Click HERE AND DOWNLOAD ME, NEVER MIND THE SPYWARE YOU WILL GET"
is not a nice thing to lead people to.

Thank you.

otherwise, this seems Extremely Shady / scammy.

Last edited by lauranne44; July 19th, 2019 at 03:53 AM.
Old July 19th, 2019, 03:52 AM

Quote:
I agree.

As for the Link to NewEgg on the Matched Pair of High Performance Gaming Memory Modules.

Yes, you would have to replace the one 8Gb module, because these Gaming Memory Modules are designed to work together as a matched pair to get the best Dual Channel Performance out of them.

Here's a Video on Upgrading your memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRCXYXszi8U

Since your on a tight budget.
Check what the cost will be for the next 8Gb Memory Stick, that will match your current 8Gb memory Stick.

Sometimes the cost of adding just that one memory stick, is more or about the same as just getting a matched pair of Memory sticks that will get you too the 16Gb's of memory that your after.

I am probably mistaken, but it seems as if I have asked about TEN TIMES now for a definition in layman's terms of what this "high performance" term means, EXACTLY.

Thank you.
Old July 19th, 2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauranne44 View Post
I am probably mistaken, but it seems as if I have asked about TEN TIMES now for a definition in layman's terms of what this "high performance" term means, EXACTLY.
Sorry....
Unfortunately, I don't think I could explain it in simple terms, with out having too get into subjects like; Over-Clocking, Cache Latency, Bus Speeds, Dual Channel Memory, and Heat Spreaders.

Closed Topic