Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Topic Tools
Old March 7th, 2019, 10:26 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Desktop Icon Text Enlargement Headache

I have searched Google answers online and none work. Have a new laptop Windows 10 and am seeking to enlarge the desktop icon text (not icons), just the text.....please help.

Old March 7th, 2019, 10:45 PM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/i...-size-computer
Old March 8th, 2019, 01:21 PM

Sorry ding dong I don't know.

Renegade, I had a read of the link you posted and I have been unable to find a way to increase the text size under the icons without also increasing the size of the icons.

If there is a way, please explain it to ding dong and to me.
Old March 8th, 2019, 05:17 PM

This is odd. My W10 Pro display options are different than shown in that tutorial. For example, under item 4, I don't have "Advanced sizing of text and other items". So it seems clear to me, MS has changed how things are setup.

I remember years ago in XP, you could change just about every setting individually. That included text sizes under desktop icons, taskbar height and text size and color and all sorts of things. But I also know many users dinked with those settings and then couldn't figure out how to get back to the defaults - then of course, blamed Microsoft.

It should be noted these settings are controlled by Registry settings and dinking with the Registry always comes with risks.

With that in mind, my favorite Windows Registry tweaker, Winaero Tweaker appears to let you change that setting easily. Under Advanced Appearance Settings > Icons > Change icons font, click on "Change font..." and you will be able to adjust the font size. Just remember what the default is (9 on my computer).

BTW, Windows may yell at you when installing this program. That's normal for any program that wants to change Registry settings. I assure you, this program is safe. I've used it for years on my computers, including this one.

Last edited by Digerati; March 8th, 2019 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Added the "BTW" comment.
Old March 10th, 2019, 04:44 PM

Winaero Tweaker

Just installed good find love it. Thanks Bill
Old March 10th, 2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Winaero Tweaker

Just installed good find love it. Thanks Bill
You are welcome. It's a neat little program that does lots of things. I've been using it for years. One tweak I like is to display the Windows version on the desktop. I also hate that big fat arrow seen on shortcut icons (and the word Shortcut) so I remove them with Winaero.

Another nice feature, at least for self-builders, is you can customize the OEM information.

I also like how most tweaks let you see how it works before you actually apply the change. And it lets you import and export your changes and if necessary, one-click will reset all the tweaks.
Old March 12th, 2019, 07:15 AM

https://www.wintools.info/index.php/...t-size-changer