Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Topic Tools
Old June 19th, 2018, 04:57 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
We're doing fine thanks, Jill. I had eye surgery a few weeks ago, one cataract needed doing for now, the other maybe next year. It's amazing seeing (no pun intended) the difference, every colour now looks clear and more vibrant, and seeing Hi Def TV now is amazing!

I have just installed the new Linux Mint Cinnamon (18.03), and am liking it very much so far.

I hope you and yours are doing well.

Old June 19th, 2018, 08:05 PM
Jill

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Glad you're cataract surgery went well. I haven't had mine done yet supposedly they're not ready.
Been up to my ears with health problems for my husband, and self. He broke his hip May 9, and came home from rehab yesterday, now the fun begins. You guys aren't easy to deal with.
Old July 8th, 2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPR512 View Post
Hi
I'm trying to find a version of Linux that I can burn to a DVD, and boot from it. I want to try it out without installing it on a hard drive.
Does anybody know where I can download it from?
I bought a CD of MX Linux 17.1 from OSDisc.com about a month ago, and last week I finally quit procrastinating, and gave it a test drive in LiveCD mode. It connected to the internet automatically, and gave me no grief thereafter....unlike the 20+ distros I have tried over the past few years. I've been running it as a live CD every day since, and last night pulled a six hour session. As a devoted XP Pro user, this is the only Linux distro that has ever impressed me, and I recommend you seriously look into it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhQT7Aws_yk
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/mx-17.html
https://mxlinux.org/
I will be using it to teach myself Linux, and when my tech guy comes by next month, I will have him install it on my secondary HDD.
Old July 8th, 2018, 11:50 PM
Jill

Thanks for the info, and if I ever get the urge to try Linux again I'll give it a shot.
Old July 14th, 2018, 01:58 AM

I'm an XP Pro user of around five years, but awhile back I decided to learn Linux. For two or three years now I have been buying Linux CDs from OSDisc.com, and so far have tried over twenty distros....none one usable...at least not by a newbie. Each one gave me too much grief. Either I'd have to fuss with it to get it to connect to the internet, or it would not connect at all, or it would connect and be a pain in the rump to deal with thereafter. Early June I bought my lastest CD called MX Linux 17.1. Frankly, I was expecting the same waste of time and effort as before, so I procrastinated trying it out until about ten days ago. I ran it as LiveCD, it connected to the internet automatically, did all the setup for me, and after about four minutes was completely ready to go out of the box. I did have to change the bland wallpaper, turn off the Conky, and turn on the firewall, but no big deal. So I have been using it every day now in LiveCD mode (I split my six hour session between it and XP Pro), exploring the internet, watching movies/TV shows, doing online shopping, etc., and using it to teach myself Linux. Unlike all the others, it has caused me no grief, and when my tech guy comes by next month, I will have him install it to my secondary HDD. If you need more convincing, there are plenty of video reviews on YouTube. As for download source:
https://mxlinux.org/download-links
Can't tell you if it works or not as I get all my CDs from here:
https://www.osdisc.com/products/mx
...so I don't have to fool with downloading, making it bootable, doing the 'checksum', etc.

Last edited by trimis; July 14th, 2018 at 02:04 AM.
Old July 14th, 2018, 04:22 AM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
so you are saying mx 17.1 requires a tech to install it? that is what you said in both posts.
Old July 14th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Jill

Not sure why you would spend money buying Linux CDs, because they're easy enough to burn, and boot to. I would think that anybody looking to get into Linux would have the knowledge to do so.
Old July 14th, 2018, 03:38 PM
CTH Subscriber

What made you go with mx 17.1, and why pay for a CD when as Jill pointed out, it's easy enough to download the .iso file, and burn it onto your own CD/DVD? I am using Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, which is considered to be excellent for Linux beginners (like me),......

https://www.hecticgeek.com/2017/12/l...nnamon-review/
Old July 15th, 2018, 04:17 PM

The forum hardware seemed to have cut me off before I thought it was posted, so I did it over, and now its posted twice. Don't see a way to delete the second one, so oh well.
Anyway, to answer the questions, I've never installed an OS before, and don't intend to experiment with this one. I have a tech guy on monthly retainer to make sure my XP Pro remains malware-free, and do whatever else I'm not skilled to do, or just don't want to mess with. If you believe all the video reviews on YouTube, MX Linux is easy to install, and they make it look easy, but then none are newbies like me. Now that I finally found a Linux distro that actually works, it's going to be installed by a pro.
I paid a hundred bucks for a backup install-CD of XP Pro, so $10 for a Linux CD from OSDisc is nothing...don't care to take the time to download it, figure out how to make it bootable, nor do the 'checksum' baloney.
I didn't just go with MX Linux. It was the last in a long line of Linux CDs that I bought, tried, and set aside. I had tried Linux Mint early on (think it was 'Gloria'), don't recall what was wrong with it. Either I had to fight it to get it to connect to the internet, or fight it to get it to do anything after I got it to connect, or never got it connected at all. MX LInux was simply the last one I tried, and the first one that was not a pain in the rump.
Old July 15th, 2018, 07:03 PM
Jill

So let me try to understand something. You’ve been a member of this forum since 2011, and have posted less than ten times, and you say that you have never installed an operating system, and you are still using an old operating system like XP. You have also said that you have a tech guy on monthly retainer who takes care of your computer for you so why then are you still using an old OS such as XP?
It seems to me that you joined this forum in 2011 for a reason, and most times people post here, because they need help. You probably should have learned by now how to install an operating system, and learned how to keep your old XP malware free also.
If I were you I would be concentrating on how to burn an ISO to a DVD, learning how to install an up to date Windows OS, and keeping your computer malware free without paying a tech guy every month. That’s just my humble opinion.

Last edited by IPR512; July 15th, 2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old July 17th, 2018, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPR512 View Post
So let me try to understand something. Youíve been a member of this forum since 2011, and have posted less than ten times, and you say that you have never installed an operating system, and you are still using an old operating system like XP. You have also said that you have a tech guy on monthly retainer who takes care of your computer for you so why then are you still using an old OS such as XP?
It seems to me that you joined this forum in 2011 for a reason, and most times people post here, because they need help. You probably should have learned by now how to install an operating system, and learned how to keep your old XP malware free also.
If I were you I would be concentrating on how to burn an ISO to a DVD, learning how to install an up to date Windows OS, and keeping your computer malware free without paying a tech guy every month. Thatís just my humble opinion.
Until about six months ago, I was relegated to the public computers at the library, or the pay-for-play computers at copy shops, none of which allow one to do much of anything...no downloads, making folders/files, burning DVDs/CDs or even using them (someone might slip in a TAILS CD and that would be so naughty), etc. Around six months ago I finally had my fill of the public computers, decided to quit waiting for my custom-build to be finished, and bought a used Dell Optiplex 755 off Ebay, to use as an interim PC...and yes, I intentionally waited for a model having XP Pro. Why? Because it is what I taught myself to use the internet on, what I like, and what I choose to use. Because the library took it away, forced Vista & Win7 on me (both I hated), and as soon as I was able to reclaim my XP Pro, you betcha I did so!

Yes, I joined this forum for a reason, and yes, I posted less than ten times. When I have a question to ask, then I ask, and otherwise I don't. Unlike some, I don't use forums as a form of social media, probably because I don't use social media. I have no need to learn how to install an OS. XP Pro came pre-installed, and required no activation. As for installing MX Linux, that is one of the things I have a tech guy on retainer for. I quit smoking which freed up $100 to $200 a month, & kicked Comcast to the curb for another spare $90, so I can more than afford $100 a month for my tech guy (and $50 for VDSL).
Old July 17th, 2018, 08:55 PM
CTH Subscriber

In one post you wrote/typed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimis View Post
I'm an XP Pro user of around five years, but awhile back I decided to learn Linux.
In another post you wrote/typed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimis View Post
Until about six months ago, I was relegated to the public computers at the library, or the pay-for-play computers at copy shops, none of which allow one to do much of anything..
This would surely make anyone wonder if all you're saying/posting is legit!
Something I don't understand is the fact you have posted about your hiring a tech guy to help you. If this is true, why isn't he dealing with what your problem is, or even batter, why not ask at the MX Linux website, I'm sure they must have a forum. Most Linux set ups do.
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:51 PM
Jill

"I finally had my fill of the public computers, decided to quit waiting for my custom-build to be finished, and bought a used Dell Optiplex 755 off Ebay, to use as an interim PC...and yes, I intentionally waited for a model having XP Pro. "

I have to tell you that tech guy you have on retainer must be pretty stupid if it's taking him so long to build you a custom computer. I had never built one before, but when I finally decided to do so a couple of years ago it took me all of two days including time out for other things.
Don't even bother responding to me, because I'm done answering you.
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:53 PM
Jill

"This would surely make anyone wonder if all you're saying/posting is legit!"

AGREED!
Old July 28th, 2018, 09:09 PM
CTH Subscriber

I think you scared him away, Jill!