Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old February 18th, 2019, 08:54 PM
Banned

RAM expansion

I have a desktop PC, Hewlett Packard model p6719f. I know nothing about computers. It appears to have four RAM slots, with two filled.

I am interested in potentially adding more RAM, but I'm concerned about doing it all correctly.

I want to buy from a reputable source. I've seen an offer for two sticks of RAM that will supposedly fit that only costs $40 but it is on Ebay, and I don't consider that at all a reliable source. But that price sounds about what I'd like to spend.

Next, I have no idea if I can just plug in the sticks or if I would Also need to upgrade other components?

Your advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Old February 18th, 2019, 11:38 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
First off, you need too know what type of memory you need for machine, and how much it will support.

Here's HP Support: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph03886
Also........
Here is the Crucial Memory Site: https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/hp-me...gJFP_D_BwE:G:s
This will give you an idea of what is compatible, and what upgrades can be done with your computer.

As for finding stuff on E-bay.....
Write down the numbers for the Memory that your found, and compare them too what HP and Crucial recommends.
They may not match, or the person is selling used Memory Sticks.
Check if they have any kind of warranty, or the seller has a return policy.

I've bought memory off of E-bay.
But I have checked out the seller first to see how long they've been around, and if they have a good reputation for selling quality goods.

Signed: Ensign Tzap

Last edited by Ensign Tzap; February 19th, 2019 at 02:12 AM.
Old February 19th, 2019, 04:00 PM

An important comment about the Crucial site (which I recommend too). You don't have to buy Crucial RAM and you don't have to buy directly from them. But if you do buy RAM they suggested directly from them, they guarantee it will be compatible. If you don't buy Crucial or from them, just make sure you buy RAM with the same specs as suggested RAM.

Also, almost all the other major brands have a similar RAM wizard on their site, where you either download a small scanner program that then checks to see what is compatible, or you enter your system specs manually and they provide a list of compatible RAM. So you can double check that way.
Quote:
Next, I have no idea if I can just plug in the sticks or if I would Also need to upgrade other components?
The only other component that might need upgrading would be the power supply to support the added demand. But frankly, it is unlikely you will need to do that. While it is common for factory built computers to come with power supplies that are barely adequate to support the hardware they come with, RAM sticks are not big power hogs so there typically is enough head room to add a couple more sticks of RAM without worrying about a bigger power supply.

Adding RAM is one of the easier technical tasks we can do - if you can see what you are doing - not always easy when your own hands get in the way of your view - at least for me. Make sure you have good lighting.

There is an HP service and upgrade guide for your computer here that talks about adding RAM starting on Page 31.

Just remember to unplug the computer from the wall first. Open the side panel then touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static in your body BEFORE reaching in or touching the RAM sticks. Never touch the electrical contacts of the RAM sticks.

Note the down arrows in image 7 on page 32. Ensure those lock-levers are pressed down on the empty slots before attempting to insert RAM. In image 10, it is showing the little notch in the sticks. Those are there to ensure you don't try to force the sticks in the slots backwards. So make sure you have the "key" notches in the sticks properly lined up with the corresponding key in the slot before attempting to press them in. Note that all RAM has similar key notches. Different type RAM as them in different places so you don't try to install DDR3 into a DDR4 slot, for example.

Then press straight down until the RAM goes in all the way. If done properly, those lock-levers typically rise and lock the sticks in place on their own indicating the sticks are fully seated.

Now inspect the case interior to make sure it is clean of heat trapping dust - clean as necessary, frequently touching bare metal to keep static in your body at bay. Inspect one last time to make sure all power can data cables are securely fastened and were not accidentally knocked loose when installing the RAM. If necessary, ensure (as much as possible) cables are not interfering with desired front-to-back flow of cool air through the case.

Close up the case, connect power to wall, cross fingers, and give it a go.
Closed Topic