Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012

Notices

Topic Tools
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:05 AM

Message that reads missing or corrupt C:\winnt\system\config\system-ced file

When stating Win 2000 I get a message that reads missing or corrupt C:\winnt\system\config\system-ced file

I am instructed to intall the win 2000 disk and hit "R" for a repair but I keep getting asked for the Emergency Repair Disk. I dont have one or how do I make one. Please help thanks in advance.

?? What causes this error and how can I keep it from happening again because I think this happened before but I dont recall how I resovled it.

Old January 19th, 2009, 09:21 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hi PC MAN welcome to Cyber Tech Help.

Quote:
corrupt C:\winnt\system\config\system-ced
This is not a repairable situation you'll have to reinstall Windows 2000. You can select to NOT format during the install
and you will still retain your personal files. You will however lose all Windows 2000 settings as well as any emails and
email settings within Outlook Express.

There is one obscure way to boot your Windows 2000 but it requires a bit of computer knowledge. Also please note
I will not be willing to offer any extra help on this particular procedure other than why I will type out below.
3 files on a floppy disk may boot your Windows 2000.
NTDETECT.COM
boot.ini
ntldr
You can download these here but I will remove these download links in 24 hours so be fast and if you miss the 24 hours
I will not repost them and you'll have to get the files from another Windows 2000 machine.
NTDETECT.COM
boot.ini
Now the last one you'll have to right-click and select Save Target As... and it will download as ntldr.txt
ntldr
After ntldr.txt is downloaded you want to remove (rename) the ntldr.txt dot and suffix off of the file name. It has to be ntldr before you put it on the floppy.
Quote:
instructed to intall the win 2000 disk and hit "R" for a repair but I keep getting asked for the Emergency Repair Disk. I dont have one
This repair disc is created during the install of Windows 2000 and if you did not select to do so at that time then
you simply don't have the disc for that reason.
One can be created in Control Panel later but again if you did not do this you don't have one for that reason.
Quote:
What causes this error and how can I keep it from happening again
- A failing hard drive
- Corrupted Windows files
- Registry cleaners
- Virus cleaners
- Spyware cleaners
- Defragment the hard drive
Things are either removed from Windows or they get corrupted from various actions performed in Windows.
You can't prevent it from ever happening again unless you...
- have a fail-proof hard drive (one hasn't been invented yet)
- never run registry cleaners
- never run virus scanners
- never run spyware cleaners
- never delete files, any files
- never defragment the hard drive

Windows 2000 is getting long-in-the-tooth
Your hard drive is from technology that has been surpassed by many steps of improvement
The computer your using is from technology that has been surpassed by many steps of improvement.

What your asking is not unlike someone asking the same thing about a car, "How do I make it so my car never breaks down?"
These things (cars, computers) fail and that is life in technology. There is no magic cure for eternal life.
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM

Dear MR or Mrs Spider

When I right click on the link for ntldr.txt i see the " Save as taget option..." o.k but when asked to download to the desktop the file is already saving with out a .txt extension is that right. Also you mention that the file should read *ntldr* with the asterists. When i try to rename the file with the asterist it does not work all the other symbols work but not this one. The asterist workd in word and word pad but not when renanimg files?? And yes I am holding down the shift key to get the asterist which is the same as the number 8.

Also I tried to use the Floppy on the Win 2000 PC but nothing happened. I get a message that reads removet he disk and hit any key to resart. Do I do something wrong? Thanks for your help inadvance.

PC MAN
Old January 20th, 2009, 03:34 AM
CTH Subscriber

Your going to have to reinstall Windows 2000 and do not format when asked, just move to next step.
Old January 20th, 2009, 06:05 PM

I installed Win 2000 on another Dell Optiplex 260 then created an emergency repair disk.
I used that one to repair the one that had crashed. It worked ! ! ! I was able to boot to Windows 2000....but now I have no mouse or keyboard access ??!!
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:50 PM
CTH Subscriber

You may have to visit the motherboard manufacturer's site and install all drivers offered. The ports (USB PS/2) may not be engaged.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:16 PM

I got the mouse and keyboard to work on the Dell win 2000. PC

But now i get a Phantom PCI device showing on the devie manager. Its shows with a yellow exclamation and questions mark. When I disable it the New hardware wizard starts up everytime I start the PC, and again the Phantom PCI deive shows in device manger. I was instructed to upgrade the chipset which is what i did and this resolved the issue with this PCI device. But then this PC crashed and I got the System 32 message when I resolved this issue the PCI devie came back. This whole mess started as a result of trying to get rid of this @#%!!### Pci devie. There is NO PCI device in the PC!!!!! So I cant get drivers for it or Identify it................need help.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:10 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC MAN View Post
now i get a Phantom PCI device showing on the devie manager
There is probably an onboard modem in that Dell and it's most likely a FAX/VOICE/MODEM. "Voice" means
it plays with the audio and has a separate audio driver. If you go to Dell support download for that Dell then
download and install the entire driver packages offered. Start with the modem to see if the Device Manager
phantom goes away.

Also check your BIOS version against what Dell offers as the latest. If they have a newer one (A bigger A0#)
then install that first, reboot, then go back for the drivers thing.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:18 AM

So 'm downloading an audio driver??! MY Modem is fine I dont see any yellow marks by it in the Device manager. I have already upgraded my bios and chipset. I have already donwloaded drivers for the modem. There are several on the Dell Website do I need to switch to another??!! Here is my Service tag number 9JYWQ11. Maybe you can tell me which driver i need.. Thanks
Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
CTH Subscriber

I have a link to a program in my signature (the bottom of every post I make). Everest will tell us what Dell
put in there. Start Everest up and click the little plus sign beside Multimedia then click once
on top of PCI / PnP Audio and on the right window it will name your Audio device. You can right-click
that and copy then paste here if you want.

Your modem will be in Everest somewhere as well. Dig around in there get familiar with Everest. Everest is a
very handy program to get device makes and models without opening up a computer. Even if no drivers are
loaded for them Everest can read the devices at the hardware level.
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:04 PM

To whom it may concern;

I went to the Dell website input the servicetag number of my Winn 2000 Pc and got and updated chipset and Bios, then I updated my PC with this new information. The phantom PCI device is gone!!!!!! Apparently, the drivers must have been in the chipset and possibly for an onboard item. Anyway this issue has been resolved. Thanks to all who have assisted me. But wait theres more...............stay tuned.
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:34 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC MAN View Post
this issue has been resolved
Good job.
Quote:
...stay tuned.
We were born tuned.