Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old July 4th, 2018, 02:36 AM

Router exclusions?

I have a typical wifi router rented from the cable company.

Can I set it in a way to exclude specific devices from logging in to the network, ie, a mind-deadening Xbox?

Ty.

Old July 4th, 2018, 10:56 PM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
put mac addresses of devices you want to access the router is about the only way or take a sledge hammer to the xbox.
Old July 5th, 2018, 03:18 PM

It depends on your router. My Linksys, for example, lets me block a specific device by its MAC address. Or I can allow specific devices, and only those devices by their MAC addresses. The former is easier, IMO, because I only have to deal with the one MAC address.

You will just need to access your router's admin menu and see what works best for you.

I note also in my Linksys, I can set specific hours any connected device has access. So, if I only want to allow a specific computer or device to have access between 4PM and 8PM Mon-Friday, and 10AM to 8PM on Saturday and Sunday, that is easy to set up.

That said, can't you just disable network access from within the Xbox menu itself?
Old July 12th, 2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post

That said, can't you just disable network access from within the Xbox menu itself?
I don't know. I presume I am locked out of it bc it belongs to my kid, who has locked me out of all his other stuff. Not that I have any interest in learning enough about it to start playing.

I think Xbox and other games are a Communist plot to deaden the minds of all Western European children such that they are incapable of performing even routine tasks like driving from point A to point B without a computer helping them; using hand tools to putter around the house; or stay abreast of current events or news.

When was the last time you saw a kid of school age actually playing in the park?
Old July 13th, 2018, 01:13 AM

Quote:
I am locked out of it bc it belongs to my kid, who has locked me out of all his other stuff. Not that I have any interest in learning enough about it to start playing.
Who's paying the bills? Who's going to jail if something illegal is happening using your ISP assigned IP address?

This is not about me telling you how to parent your family. This is me telling you you need to take control and be the administrator of your network.