Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Topic Tools
Old January 22nd, 2020, 08:46 PM

Networking 2 PC's

I used to know how to do this, but it's been a while and I forget, plus I am now using Win 10 and no longer using Win 7. I am trying to network my family room PC with the one in my bedroom. I went to the properties for the C drive and then the sharing tab then clicked to share the C drive, but it still won't work. Also on the sharing tab the share icon is greyed out. I would also like to connect with the printer that is hoked up to the family room pc. Can someone please help me out with this.
Thanks so much.
Jim

Last edited by jmnew; January 23rd, 2020 at 04:29 AM.

Old January 23rd, 2020, 05:19 PM

We need more information.

Do you have a network? And if so, how are these computers connected to your network now?

Typically, a home network would consist of a router (or wireless router). Typical home routers have a 4-port Ethernet switch integrated in the same box. Connected computers would connect via Ethernet cable to the switch, or wirelessly.

Is that how your computers are connected now?

Also, tell us about your printer. The best solution is to network the printer - that is, connect it to your router and not to a PC. A networked printer lets everyone on your network print without a "host" computer being up and running. It also lets the printer be centrally located anywhere there is network access and not tethered to any computer.

There are many tutorials on sharing files and folders in W10. This is a pretty good one.
Old January 23rd, 2020, 07:10 PM

Yes I have a network. The computers are connected to the network now. In fact I can see the bedroom computer from the family room computer, but i cannot access any files because it says I do not have permission. I tried changing the permissions on my bedroom PC, but that did not help.I can however also see the family room computer from the bedroom computer and I get the same message about permissions. My computers are hooked up exactly how you described. They are all wired through the same 4 port router. The printer is hooked up to the pc in the family room. I would like to keep it that way if possible, that way I will not be disturbed while trying to sleep. The bedroom is where my router is. I only have 2 PC's at the moment all connected to a 4 port router wired not wireless. When I go to the control panel on the bedroom computer the printer shows up there. It shows up as Brother xxxxxx on the bedroom computer. When I click on it it shows up as offline.
Thank you so much for helping.
Jim

Last edited by jmnew; January 23rd, 2020 at 11:22 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2020, 11:14 PM

ok I got the printer to print from the bedroom PC to the host family room pc. The problem is still I cannot access the C drive on the family room pc from my pc in the bedroom and vise versa. It keeps saying I don't have permission, but as far as I know I have enabled everyone full control on both PC's. I followed the tutorial you sent and enabled everything they said, but when I tried to access the C drive from either pc it still will not work. Like I said before I can see the drives on either pc and they show up as shared.
Thanx
Jim

Last edited by jmnew; January 23rd, 2020 at 11:25 PM.
Old January 24th, 2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
The printer is hooked up to the pc in the family room. I would like to keep it that way if possible, that way I will not be disturbed while trying to sleep.
Connecting the printer directly to the router should not change your sleeping habits. The printer can still be in the family room. The only difference is the family room PC will not have to be up and running for anyone else to print.

Do you have the same user names on each computer?
Old January 24th, 2020, 07:51 PM

The bedroom is where the router is so it will affect my sleeping habits if my GF is printing while I'm trying to sleep. She will continually be coming in and out of the room.
one one PC is called LIVINGROOMPUTER and the other PC is called BEDPUTER.
Jim
Old January 24th, 2020, 08:29 PM

I was not suggesting moving the printer next to the router. That's what is nice about networked printers - they can be located anywhere. It just depends on where you have cable connection, how long the cable is, or if the printer is wireless (or connected to a wireless print server), you can put it anywhere and not worry about a cable.
Old January 24th, 2020, 08:56 PM

Unfortunately the cable that comes out of our closet is not long enough to relocate the cable modem and hence the router. I could run more TV cable or more CAT 5 ethernet cable, but at the moment that seems more trouble than it's worth. i was thinking of upgrading to a wireless situation, but my GF was always against it saying "leave well enough alone".
like I said my network is a wired network. After enabling the 2 Function Discovery Services on the family room PC I was then able to print to that PC, however I still have that nagging problem of not being able to view any files. The folders show up as shared network folders, but when I click on them it says I don't have permission to view the files.
Jim
Old January 24th, 2020, 09:45 PM

Another option is to put an inexpensive 4-port 1Gbps Ethernet switch out in your family room. The cable going to the family room computer now goes into the LAN/WAN port on the switch, and then the computer and printer connect to two of the other ports. No pulling extra cables through walls. That said, if what you do now works for you, then that's great.

As for the sharing issue, I am afraid I am at a loss. Other than making sure the steps Ian points out here, and those by Brink in that other link, I don't know why you can't do this. Hopefully someone smarter than me will come along.
Old January 25th, 2020, 02:06 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/sha...os-windows-10/
Old February 11th, 2020, 05:10 AM

Using the public folder worked for me. I just wanted to share the whole C: drive. I guess I cannot do this.
thanx
Jim