Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old January 2nd, 2020, 06:11 PM

Memory stickcs

HP elitebook 2560p

Do memory sticks have to match to work? At the moment I have the OEM 4 gb DDR3 in my laptop, but I would scavenge sticks from similar laptops that are otherwise done if there is a possibility it would work but as I don't know what I will find, I won't expend the effort if there is no chance.

Thanks.

Old January 2nd, 2020, 06:30 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Yes, they do. Your laptop has 2 memory slots. The maximum your board can use is 16G, so you'd need to populate it with 2 DDR3 PC3-10600 SDRAM sticks (8 gigs each).
Old January 3rd, 2020, 03:56 PM

They must match the same type. For example, you cannot mix DDR3 and DDR4. Besides the fact the slots are physically different, they are not compatible.

Beyond that, they should match in the remaining specs to ensure compatibility and optimal performance. But typically they don't have to.

In your case, you have 4GB, "in theory" you could add an 8GB stick and end up with 12GB total. Or add 2GB and end up with 6GB. As long as the motherboard supports them they "should" work fine together. The only downside is they would not work in "dual-channel" memory mode. But typically just having more RAM would still improve performance even if operating in single-channel mode.

I note your user manual on page 1 clearly shows a list of single, matched pairs, and mixed pairs of RAM sticks. So no, they "should" not need to match to work - "in theory".

But note I say "in theory" and "should". This is because in theory and real world do not always jive. So to ensure the best odds, it typically is best to make sure all sticks are the same brand and model numbers. This is especially true with older hardware.

In your case, you have the advantage of having other sticks from similar computers at your disposal. I say as long as they are compatible DDR3, try them and see what happens.

Just remember to unplug from the wall, remove the battery and observe proper ESD precautions BEFORE reaching into your computer or touching any of the sticks.
Old January 20th, 2020, 08:47 PM

Thanks. I will try that as time permits and update as to how it turns out.