Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old January 31st, 2020, 09:18 AM

Upgrading RAM on laptop

Hello

I want to add memory to the laptop HP Pavilion 15-N208TX (F6C48PA), but I donít know which one to choose?

https://mobilespecs.net/laptop/HP/HP...X_F6C48PA.html

I'm looking for a 8GB module, and the laptop allows me to do this
it has a free slot, and you can increase the memory up to: 12 GB

Old February 1st, 2020, 04:20 PM

Visit the Crucial Memory Advisor. You download a little (and safe) scanner that will analyze your system and recommend compatible RAM. You don't have to buy Crucial (though they make great RAM) but the point is, it will show you the specs of compatible RAM. And if you buy directly from Crucial, they guarantee it will work.

I note most other RAM makers have similar RAM wizards where you either download a smal scanner program or you enter your computer or motherboard make and model. Either way, you can end up with a list of compatible RAM.

I have to say it is a little odd that the maximum allowed 12GB. I would have thought you could remove the current 4GB and install 2 x 8GB for a maximum of 16GB to maintain full dual-channel memory configuration. But I cannot find where dual-channel is supported so I guess that does not matter. And besides, more RAM is typically better than faster RAM anyway.

I will also say this. You likely will see a significant performance bump going from 4GB to 8GB. But it is unlikely going from 8GB to 12GB will offer much, if any "noticeable" improvement. You might have more, and more affordable options if you just add another 4GB for 8GB total.
Old February 2nd, 2020, 01:14 AM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
I agree, go to crucials website and run their ram scan. then take the info and buy where ever you want.