Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Topic Tools
Old January 1st, 2013, 12:30 AM

Internet really slow, or non-responsive sometimes - moved by Jintan

Hello, I recently purchased a new computer, Windows 8. My internet connection was fine with my old computer. No problems before I switched. Now I am randomly having problems. My internet will be really slow, or not load the page at all, at random times, sometimes lasts a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes. Windows says my drivers are all up to date.. so I don't know. I tried the Network troubleshooter, no help. My specs are here http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Z...iCYoUKrzPbS1EN
I'm using Firefox, fresh, new, latest version. And if it matters, my ISP is a local one, not a big company, I have had many problems with them, but it has been fine for a long while now, and just having the problem after switching computers leads me to believe it is something with the computer. A few other notes, My PC comes with WiFi, I have disabled it, it did not help. I am using Cable internet, and my ISP stopped using usernames and passwords a long time back, so I don't have either of those. Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help.

Old January 1st, 2013, 02:22 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Welcome to CTH kaymik,

I looked through your Speccy stats, and didn't notice anything outright that would suggest causing these problems. You do have Skype running, so if that runs at startup automatically (and you aren't using it). open Skype, look for something like Tools - Options/Setting, and disable it from starting when Windows starts.

You also have MediaFire Express. I know little about this software, though there is little about MediaFire I might want to trust. Why not just uninstall that, reboot and see if it was the culprit.
Old January 1st, 2013, 02:51 AM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
is it also slow when using internet explorer?
Old January 1st, 2013, 04:58 AM

Hello, I disabled Skype and Mediafire as startup programs, And I don't feel there is a need to remove mediafire as the issue began before downloading it or any other extra programs on this new computer. Internet explorer is the same.
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:07 AM

What happens when you use Internet Explorer?
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:23 AM

Same thing as Firefox, Pages not loading or loading really slowly, at random times, lasting from a few seconds to minutes. Also, earlier, in firefox, didn't check ie at that time, NO pages were loading, but Gmail and Gmail chat were still working, I didn't dare refresh though, that passed on its own. During that time I ran the diagnose/troubleshooter, it said DNS server not responding, now troubleshooter/diagnose, showing no problems like before. Tried cleaning registry, clearing history, and removing left over norton folders too.
Old January 1st, 2013, 06:27 AM

And when I saw from a few seconds to minutes, it varies, Just now lasted for 20 some minutes, and then pages loading slowly can last for longer.
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:21 AM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
try booting to safemode with network and see if it is still slow.
Old January 1st, 2013, 04:14 PM

If it's still slow in Safe Mode With Networking, then unplug the power cable on your modem/router for a few seconds.

If that doesn't help, are you able to try your old computer? If so, and that doesn't help either, then the issue is with your ISP.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:14 AM

hi...friends

Please try these methods and check if this helps.

Method 1: Internet Explorer Connection troubleshooter.

a. Press the ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.

b. Type troubleshooter in the search box and then press enter.

c. Select Troubleshooting. Click on view all and select Internet Connections.

d. Click next and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2: Perform Network adapter troubleshooter.

a. Press Windows + W key on the keyboard..

b. Type troubleshooting in the search tab and press Enter.

c. Click View all on left panel.

d. Click Network Adapter, new window will popup.

e. Follow the on screen instructions.

Method 3: Update the Network adapter drivers.

a. Press Windows + x, select Device Manager.

b. Right click the Network Adapter drivers.

c. Click Update drivers.

Hope this helps. If you have any more issues and the issue persists, feel free to contact us. We are here to assist you.
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:09 AM

Just who is "feel free to contact us. We are here to assist you." johnsonmaddy?

kaymik, let's assume this involves malware in some way, and check things further. I will move this thread to the CTH Malware Removal Forum.

The system is Windows 9, so when running any of the scan files we use, be sure to right click the file, then select "Run as administrator" to start the scan/tool.

And To make sure you have an accurate view of files there, make sure you can View Hidden Files. Also uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Types"

To keep them from interfering with the repairs, be sure to temporarily disable all antivirus/anti-spyware softwares while these steps are being completed. This can usually be done through right clicking the software's Taskbar icons, or accessing each software through Start - Programs. Here are some antivirus disable tips if needed.

-------

Click here and download OldTimer's OTL to your desktop, then click that to open the scan display. At the top click "Scan All Users", then click "Run Scan". Make no other changes at this time.

When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are also saved in the same location as OTL.exe. Post the contents of those back here please.

-----------

Click here and download the installer for Gmer to your desktop, then click that file to run Gmer.

Once the opening scan finishes, click on Scan (again, before scanning, make sure all other running programs are closed and no other actions like a scheduled antivirus scan will occur while this scan completes. Also do not use your computer during the scan).

When completed, click on the Copy button and rightclick on your Desktop, choose "New" > Text document. Once the file is created, open it and rightclick again and choose Paste. Copy the information and post it here please.

-----------

Download aswMBR ( 511KB ) to your desktop.
  • Double click the aswMBR.exe icon to run it
  • If you can have an open Internet connection, and allow it to download the latest Avast engine detections.
  • If avast! antivirus is already installed, just do the next step.
  • Click the Scan button to start the scan
  • On completion of the scan, click the save log button, save it to your desktop and post it in your next reply.

A lot, but comprehensive, and will make sure we get a good view of everything.
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:31 PM

[QUOTE=johnsonmaddy;1250848]hi...friends

Please try these method and verify if this helps.
Method 1: Internet Explorer Connection troubleshooter.. Press the ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard. Type troubleshooter in the search box and then press enter. Select Troubleshooting. Click on view all and select Internet Connections. Click next and follow the on-screen instructions.Method . Perform Network adapter troubleshooter. Press Windows + W key on the keyboard.Type troubleshooting in the search tab and press Enter.Click View all on left panel.Click Network Adapter, new window will popup.Follow the on screen instructions.
Method 3: Update the Network adapter drivers.
a. Press Windows + x, select Device Manager.
b. Right click the Network Adapter drivers.
c. Click Update drivers.
Hope this helps. If you have any more issues and the issue persist, feel free to contact us. We are here to help you.
Old January 12th, 2013, 12:40 AM

johnsonmaddy, I peg you as a poorly scripted bot right about now. However, you cannot post replies in the CTH Malware Removal Forum - see here.