Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Topic Tools
Old February 20th, 2018, 04:09 PM
Question Can't search within specific site

I have a lot of material on an old forum that is no longer supported by the publisher, Bethesda Softworks. You can still reach the site, but trying to search it via Google yields no results. Other search engines seem to turn up the same result.

How can I search this site without spending hours browsing it? What did the publisher do to prevent traditional search engines from searching the site while still keeping it up?

I suspect there might be a specialized tool out there for searching (or downloading then searching) this old site. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old February 20th, 2018, 06:50 PM
Certifiable Bum
O/S: Linux
I am not familiar with the site so I don't know what is available but you should be able to use the sites own search feature and find your info. though I did not see the features after a casual look, it could be you have to sign in to use them. also you may be able to sign in and get a list of your posts. as far as using google, look like the site is using something like iframe so it is harder to have searches from the outside.
Old February 21st, 2018, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the reply.

The internal search function on the site has in fact been broken for many years, long before the publishers stopped supporting the site and moved to a new forum. Using Google search was a matter of course during the final few years of the forum's operation.

When you log in, under your profile, you can see the last handful of topics and posts you made (I can see my last three topics and last five comments) but that's it. Looking at my Content used to list all contributions, but later only showed only 20/30 after the search function broke, and now shows nothing since the search function has been disabled entirely.

I downloaded a app called CyoTek WebCopy which seems like it will copy the entire forum to my computer and maybe that way I'll be able to search it. Still learning the tool but I'll report back if I have any success.

Topic Tools